English/Social Studies Teacher, Burlington Center, Burlington, WV
West Virginia Department of Education, WV Schools of Diversion and Transition
1. Implement adopted program of studies.
2. Provide high-quality research-based instruction in an atmosphere of high expectations for students.
3. Foster a classroom climate conducive of learning.
4. Utilize instructional management systems which increases student learning and maximizes time on task.
5. Communicate effectively within the educational community and with parents.
6. Meet professional responsibilities.
7. Maintain professional work habits.
8. Assist with the efficient operation of the school.
9. Integrate educational plans with the total treatment plan.
10. Use testing information to create an academic profile of each student showing skills gaps.
11. Plan and provide prescriptive learning experiences to overcome identified skill gaps for each student.
12. Perform satisfactorily all indicators of attainment of the performance standards for teachers in State Board Policy 5310.
13. Perform administrative duties as assigned by the principal such as, but not limited to: attend meetings, handling day-to-day administrative duties, etc.
14. Perform other duties as assigned by the principal.
1. Holds or qualifies for a West Virginia professional teaching certificate in English and Social Studies as required by State Board Policy 5202.
2. Demonstrates a high level of ability in the areas of assessment and instruction
3. Knowledge of Option Pathway and virtual course delivery.
4. Possesses the knowledge skills and ability to successfully (a) perform the job requirements (b) work within the special setting of a residential school, and (c) work as part of a rehabilitation team in concert with others.
1. The staff member works effectively as a member of the educational team.
2. The staff member demonstrates self-control and exhibit an attitude of mutual respect and tolerance.
3. The staff member has excellent communication skills, oral and written.
4. The staff member demonstrates ethical conduct and good work habits including self-motivation and the ability to manage multiple tasks to accomplish high-quality work to meet demanding deadlines.
5. The staff member demonstrates self-direction and the ability to use software applications for personal productivity and collaboration.
6. The staff member demonstrates an ability to work effectively with county personnel and other state or local agencies.
7. The staff member understands that work assignments may change, or be added, as priorities emerge within the WVSDT.
TYPICAL WORK HOURS: Operating hours of Burlington Center, as specified by the school principal.
Department of Education staff are employed upon recommendation of the State Superintendent of Schools and are state employees. No representative or employee of the state is authorized to enter into any employment contract or other agreement. Department staff work under the direction of the State Superintendent of Schools for the general supervision of the free schools in the state and implementing the policies of the board and other necessary tasks as determined by the State Superintendent of Schools or his/her designee. Each employee is at-will and subject to termination by the State Superintendent of Schools at any time, with or without notice, cause or compensation.
The employment relationship between the State Superintendent of Schools and the employee may be terminated by either party. Reasons for termination by the State Superintendent of Schools include, but are not limited to, immorality, incompetency, cruelty, insubordination, intemperance, willful neglect of duty, unsatisfactory performance, the conviction of a felony or a guilty plea or a plea of no contest to a felony charge, misuse of funds or property, violations of law or policies of the state board, lack of need, or a lack or loss of funding.
220 Days - Open until filled by a qualified applicant.
Pursuant to WV Code §18A-4-17, salary will be based on the County Board of Education Salary Table in which the facility is located, commensurate with educational level and years of experience.
December 31, 2022
Office of Human Resources
WV Dept. of Education
Building 6, Suite 650
1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East
Charleston, West Virginia 25305-0330
To apply for any of the above listed vacancies, please click here for the WVDE Employment Application.
The West Virginia Board of Education and the West Virginia Department of Education do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, disability, age and national origin in employment and in administration of any of their education programs and activities. Inquiries may be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (304) 558-2702, West Virginia Department of Education, 1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East, Charleston, West Virginia 25305; or to the Office of Civil Rights at (215) 656 8541 [TDD (877) 521-2172], U.S. Department of Education, 100 Penn Square East, Suite 515, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107-3323.