Teacher- English 05-AD, Romney, WV (Professional)
West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and the Blind
• Develops and implements lesson plans that fulfill the requirements of WV College and Career Readiness, WVSDB's curriculum program and shows written evidence of preparation as required.
• Delivers rigorous instruction to all students using 21st Century Technology skills to strengthen the teaching/learning process.
• Presents subject matter according to guidelines established by WVDE and board policies, and administrative regulations.
• Plans and uses appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned.
• Conducts assessment of student learning styles and uses results to support school-wide academic performance goals and instructional activities.
• Works cooperatively with related service providers to modify curricula as needed for students according to guidelines established in Individual Education Plans (IEP).
• Works with other members of staff to determine instructional goals, objectives, and methods according to WVSDB requirements.
• Plans and supervises assignments of teacher aide(s) and volunteer(s).
• Assists students with analyzing and improving study methods and habits.
• Conducts ongoing assessment of student achievement through formative and informative testing.
• Assumes responsibility for extracurricular activities as assigned. Sponsors, plans and implements co- curricular activities/programs, such as curricular fairs, awards programs, and/or field trips as designated by the principal.
• Creates classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social and emotional development of students.
• Manages student behavior in accordance with WV Board of Education Policy 4373 (Expected Behavior in Safe and Supportive Schools) and student handbook.
• Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
• Establishes and maintains open communication by conducting conferences with parents, students, principals and teachers to support student learning.
• Keeps informed and complies with state, district and school regulations and policies for classroom teachers.
• Compiles, maintains and files all physical and computerized reports, records and other documents required.
• Adheres to Employee Code of Conduct as outlined in WVSDB personnel policies; and performs other duties deemed appropriate and assigned by the Superintendent and/or immediate supervisor(s).
• Valid teaching certificate authorizing the individual to teach in the specialization and grade levels, pursuant to WV Code §18A-3-2.
• Criminal background check conducted pursuant to WV Code §18-5-15c and/or §18A-3-10, as appropriate.
• Meets the qualifications outlined in WV Code §18A-3-2a.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee shall remain free of any alcohol or non-prescribed drugs while in the workplace. Alcohol and controlled substance which affect employee productivity, safety or judgment in the workplace will not be tolerated.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee may frequently lift and/or move at least 50-100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision such as to read handwritten or typed material, the ability to adjust focus. The position required the individual to meet multiple demands from several people and interact with the public and other staff members.
1. The staff member must meet ASL and/or Braille skill level requirements as delineated in the WVSDB Communication Policy for job classification.
2. The staff member must complete all required annual trainings and participate in faculty meetings, serving on
staff committees as required.
3. The staff member works effectively as a member of the educational team.
4. The staff member maintains a professional relationship with colleagues, students, parents, and community members.
5. The staff member demonstrates self-control and exhibits an attitude of mutual respect and tolerance.
6. The staff member demonstrates ethical conduct and good work habits such as punctuality and attendance.
7. The staff member demonstrates self-direction and the ability to use software applications for work productivity and collaboration.
8. The staff member is self-motivated and demonstrates the ability to manage multiple tasks/assignments to accomplish high-quality work to meet demanding deadlines.
9. The staff member demonstrates excellent communication skills and excellent presentation skills using current technologies.
10. The staff member understands that work assignments may change or be added as priorities emerge.
Pursuant to WV Code §18A-4-2, in accordance with WVSDB Professional Salary Schedule, commensurate with experience and education level, 200-day annual contract. Salary supplement available for ASL or Braille proficiency demonstrated within two years of employment date.
December 12, 2022
Performance evaluation in accordance with West Virginia Board of Education Policy 5310.
To apply for any of the above listed vacancies, please click here for the WVDE Employment Application.
The West Virginia Board of Education and the West Virginia Department of Education do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, disability, age and national origin in employment and in administration of any of their education programs and activities. Inquiries may be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (304) 558-2702, West Virginia Department of Education, 1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East, Charleston, West Virginia 25305; or to the Office of Civil Rights at (215) 656 8541 [TDD (877) 521-2172], U.S. Department of Education, 100 Penn Square East, Suite 515, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107-3323.