| WVDE VACANCIES Title of Vacancy
These are vacancies in the
WV Department of Education.
For jobs in the School System visit
WV K-12 Job-Bank
Assistant State Superintendent of Schools, Charleston, WV
Division of Educator Quality and System Support
1. The staff member works effectively as a member of the West Virginia Department of Education team and the Superintendentís Executive Cabinet.
2. The staff member must have the skills and abilities to work collaboratively with other divisions and offices within the West Virginia Department of Education.
3. The staff member demonstrates self-control and exhibits an attitude of mutual respect.
4. The staff member demonstrates leadership and supervision skills.
5. The staff member demonstrates good work habits.
6. The staff member demonstrates the ability to work well with entities and groups outside the Department of Education.
7. The staff member demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Serves as chief administrator of the Division of Educator Quality and System Support which includes the offices of Federal Programs, Title I, II, III, and IV, School Improvement, Healthy Schools, and Professional Preparation.
2. Assists in the development of policies and procedures for the West Virginia Department of Education.
3. Assists in developing policies, programs, budgets and legislation to be considered by the State Board of Education and the West Virginia Legislature.
4. Provides leadership to county school systems and works with other divisions within the department in the implementation of legislation, State Board actions and departmental decisions.
5. Oversees the development of curricular and guidance materials and provides technical assistance through the division to the fifty-five county boards of education and the eight Regional Education Services Agencies.
6. Represents the state superintendent on the advisory council of one or more Regional Education Service Agencies.
7. Works with advisory councils in the areas of federal programs, school improvement, organizational effectiveness, leadership, certification, and professional preparation.
8. Provides leadership for federal programs, school improvement, organizational effectiveness, leadership, certification, and professional preparation.
9. Performs other duties as assigned by the State Superintendent of Schools.
Department of Education staff are employed upon recommendation of the state superintendent of schools and are state employees. No representative or employee of the state is authorized to enter into any employment contract or other agreement. Department staff work under the direction of the state superintendent of schools for the general supervision of the free schools in the state and implementing the policies of the board and other necessary tasks as determined by the state superintendent or his/her designee. Each employee is ďat-willĒ and subject to termination by the state superintendent at any time, with or without notice, cause or compensation.
The employment relationship between the state superintendent and the employee may be terminated by either party. Reasons for termination by the state superintendent include, but are not limited to, immorality, incompetency, cruelty, insubordination, intemperance, willful neglect of duty, unsatisfactory performance, the conviction of a felony or a guilty plea or a plea of no contest to a felony charge, misuse of funds or property, violations of law or policies of the state board, lack of need, or a lack or loss of funding.
1. A Masterís Degree in a public education related field.
2. Three years of administrative or supervisory experience.
3. Public school (PK-12) teaching, administrative and/or student support experience.
4. Superior interpersonal skills and organizational abilities.
5. Excellent verbal and writing skills.
6. General understanding of the legislative process.
7. Experience in working with county boards of education is desired.
8. Demonstrated knowledge of school law, State Board policy, and federal educational law and policy.
9. Demonstrated successful experience in leading initiatives at the state level.
Note: Selected applicants will be required to demonstrate oral and written communication proficiency through designed activities conducted during the interview session (topic to be assigned.)
Closing Date (by 4:00pm Eastern Daylight Time)Apply to
August 21, 2013
Administrative Assistant to State Superintendent
Office of State Superintendent
Building 6, Room 358
1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East
Charleston, West Virginia 25305-0330
WVDE Employment Applications
The following applications are offered as PDF documents. You can download
a copy of Acrobat Reader (a free pdf reader) from http://www.adobe.com
The West Virginia Board of Education and the West Virginia Department of Education do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, disability, age and national origin in employment and in administration of any of their education programs and activities. Inquiries may be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (304) 558-2702 or to the Section 504 Coordinator at (304) 558-2696, West Virginia Department of Education, 1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East, Charleston, West Virginia 25305; or to the Office of Civil Rights at (215) 656 8541 [TDD (877) 521-2172], U.S. Department of Education, 100 Penn Square East, Suite 515, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107-3323.