Federal Funds Available for Child Care Meals

August 02, 2004

CHARLESTON, W.Va. - Child and adult day care providers in West Virginia who are seeking ways to serve nutritious, healthy meals should consider participating the United States Department of Agriculture’s Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP). This program offers cash reimbursements for meals served to children. Some facilities may be eligible to receive USDA donated foods, as well.  

Children enrolled at childcare centers participating in CACFP receive meals at no separate charge. The rate of reimbursement to the centers varies depending on the number of children eligible for free or reduced price school meals. Centers may be reimbursed for up to three meal types, choosing from breakfast, lunch, morning or afternoon snacks and supper.  

Eligible childcare centers are licensed or approved public or private nonprofit facilities. For-profit childcare centers are also eligible if they receive compensation under Title XX of the Social Security Act for at least 25 of the children enrolled, or it at least 25 percent of the children they serve are eligible for free or reduced price school meals.  

Licensed or registered family day care home providers may also participate in the CACFP under the auspices of an approved family day care sponsoring organization. There are nine approved sponsors throughout the West Virginia. Additionally, homeless shelters providing services for families, and after school programs located in low-income areas, are also eligible to participate.  

Individuals who would like more information regarding the CACFP in West Virginia should call (304) 558-3396.  

Sponsors of the CACFP provide meals at no separate charge to all enrolled participants at each participating facility, regardless of race, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation and marital status or family status. There is no discrimination in admissions policy, meal service or the use of facilities. Any complaints of discrimination should be submitted to the USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 14th and Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C, 20250-9410, or call (202) 720-5964.

Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter.