Federal Funds Available for Child Care Meals

August 16, 2002

Across West Virginia, children in 463 child care centers receive nutritious, healthy meals through the support of United States Department of Agriculture nutrition programs. The Child and Adult Care Food Program provides cash reimbursements for meals served to children in participating child care settings. Efforts to provide healthy meals to young children are further enhanced through the USDA Donated Foods Program.  

The West Virginia Department of Education, the state administering agency for the CACFP program, is seeking new sponsors. “Good nutrition is critical to children’s learning and development, especially during early years,” State School Superintendent Dr. David Stewart said. “We encourage all eligible child care providers to participate in CACFP.”  

Several types of child care facilities are eligible to participate in the Child and Adult Care Food Program. These include all licensed or approved public or private nonprofit facilities. Also eligible are for-profit child care centers that meet program requirements for the enrollment of needy children. Licensed or registered family day care home providers may participate in the CACFP under the auspices of an approved sponsoring agency. Additionally, homeless shelters providing services to families, and after school programs located in low-income areas, may also apply.  

Children enrolled at child care centers participating in the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) receive meals at no charge. Centers may be reimbursed for up to three meal types, choosing from breakfast, lunch, morning or afternoon snacks and supper.  

Individuals who would like to apply or receive more information regarding the CACFP in West Virginia should call the West Virginia Department of Education, Office of Child Nutrition at 304-558-3396.  

Sponsors of the CACFP provide meals at no extra charge to all enrolled participants at each participating facility, regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital status or family status. There is no discrimination in admissions policy, meal service or the use of facilities. Any complaints of discrimination should be submitted to the USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 14th and Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC, 20250-9410, or call 202-720-5964.

Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter.