Federal Funds Available for Child and Adult Day Care Meals

August 30, 2011

CHARLESTON, W.Va. – West Virginia child and adult day care providers seeking ways to serve nutritious, healthy meals could qualify for funding through the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP). The program, which is administered through the West Virginia Department of Education, offers cash reimbursements for meals served to children. Some facilities may be eligible to receive USDA donated foods as well.

Children enrolled at childcare centers or other facilities participating in the CACFP receive free meals. The reimbursement rate to providers varies, depending on the number of children eligible for free or reduced price school meals. Participants may be reimbursed for up to three meal types, including breakfast, lunch, morning or afternoon snacks, or supper.

Eligible childcare centers are licensed or approved public or private nonprofit facilities. For-profit child care centers also are eligible if they receive compensation under Title XX of the Social Security Act for at least 25 percent of the children enrolled, or if at least 25 percent of the children they serve are eligible for free or reduced price school meals. Licensed or registered family day care home providers also may participate in the program under the auspices of an approved family day care sponsoring organization.

Free and Reduced Meals Guidelines

There are 10 approved sponsors throughout West Virginia. Additionally, homeless shelters providing services for families and after-school programs located in low-income areas also can participate. Program sponsors provide meals at no extra charge to all enrolled participants at each participating facility.

In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.

To file a complaint alleging discrimination, write to the USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave. SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410, or call, toll free, (866) 632- 9992 (Voice). Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact the USDA through the Federal Relay at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

For more information, contact the Office of Child Nutrition at (304) 558-3396, or the Office of Communications at (304) 558-2699.

Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter.