War Veterans Eligible to Receive Diplomas

July 17, 2000

Honorably discharged West Virginia veterans who served in World War I, World War II, the Korean Conflict and the Vietnam Conflict are now eligible to receive high school diplomas in recognition of service to their country.  

"We're very proud to honor those veterans who protected the freedoms enjoyed by all of us today," said State Superintendent Dr. David Stewart. "Many of our veterans dropped out of school to serve their country. We?re honoring and recognizing West Virginia veterans for their distinguished and honorable service to America."  

According to Gail Harper, Director of the Division of Veterans Affairs for the State of West Virginia, eligible veterans who have not attained a diploma may receive an application form at any of the 16 Division of Veterans Affairs field offices located throughout the state. Veterans may also call the Division of Veterans Affairs toll free at 1-888-838-2332 to receive an application form or for more information.  

"Diplomas will be awarded by the local county board where the veteran resides or the county where the veteran would have received his or her diploma," explained Gail Harper, Director of the Division of Veterans Affairs for the State of West Virginia. "Applications will be reviewed by my office to ensure that veterans were honorably discharged and served during the wars or conflicts."  

Harper said that the program is the result of House Bill 4078, which was approved during the 2000 General Session and signed into law by Governor Cecil H. Underwood. Harper noted that up to 30,000 veterans may be eligible to receive diplomas.  

To read the policy please visit: http://wvde.state.wv.us/policies/p4355.html  

Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter.