Federal Funds Available for Child Care Meals

July 24, 2006

CHARLESTON, W.Va. - Child and adult day care providers in West Virginia who are seeking ways to serve nutritious, healthy meals should consider participating in the United States Department of Agriculture’s Child and Adult Care Food Program(CACFP). This program offers cash reimbursements for meals served to children. Some facilities may be eligible to receive USDA donated foods, as well.  

Children enrolled at childcare centers or facilities participating in the CACFP receive meals at no additional charge. The rate of reimbursement to childcare providers varies depending on the number of children eligible for free or reduced price school meals. Participants may be reimbursed for up to three meal types, choosing from breakfast, lunch, morning or afternoon snacks and supper.  

Eligible childcare centers are licensed or approved public or private nonprofit facilities. For-profit child care centers are also eligible if they receive compensation under Title XX of the Social Security Act for at least 25 % of the children enrolled, or if at least 25 percent of the children they serve are eligible for free or reduced price school meals.  

Licensed or registered family day care home providers may also participate in the CACFP under the auspices of an approved family day care sponsoring organization. There are ten approved sponsors throughout West Virginia. Additionally, homeless shelters providing services for families, and after school programs located in low-income areas, are also eligible to participate.  

Individuals who would like more information regarding the CACFP in West Virginia should call 304-558-3396.  

Sponsors of the CACFP provide meals at no extra charge to all enrolled participants at each participating facility, regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital status or family status. There is no discrimination in admissions policy, meal service or the use of facilities. Any complaints of discrimination should be submitted to the USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 14th and Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC, 20250-9410, or call 202-720-5964.  

Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter.