Information concerning certification requirements is located in
WVBoE Policy 5202:
Beginning December 1, 2014, we will no longer accept checks or Money Orders as forms of payment. All payments must be completed online at https://wveis.k12.wv.us/certpayment/.
Due to the large volume of applications received by the Office of Professional Preparation, the estimated time for processing of applications is 90 days.**
A valid email address is required with each application. All communication is conducted electronically.
Please track your application status online at:
New --To pay for certification online using a valid credit card (American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa) please visit the online payment page. Payment posting/received does not grant "received" or "pending" status to any application. Application must be received by our office to qualify as "received" or "pending."
Check the accreditation status of an institution prior to enrolling in a class or program. Use the link
Pending applications are in the process of being
coordinator reviewed. Please note processing cannot begin
until all required documentation and fully-completed
application are received.
Please note: tuition/fee reimbursement applications will be denied if incomplete and applicants must reapply.
Please contact the county, college/university, institutional
program, community program, RESA or other to inquire as to the
documents that have been mailed to our office.
Please include an email address on your application, as email
is required for all communication.
- Certificates are no longer printed and mailed. Official certificates are available online as a PDF by visiting the Certification Status Information page.
**Fee reimbursement applications are processed on the fiscal year system and will
be processed by the end of that same fiscal year (June 30).
TeachWV.com guides individuals through the teacher preparation, certification, and employment process in West Virginia.
It also describes the Global21 initiative, professional development opportunities, and why living and teaching in
West Virginia is such a wonderful opportunity.
Approved Educator Preparation Programs in West Virginia
A list of WVBE-approved educator preparation programs in WV listed by institution and speciaization area.
Online Certification Status
View and verify your active certification endorsements, your endorsement history from 1990, or verify the status of an
application sent to this office.
Download and print applications for certification.
School Board Policies
Minimum requirements for lLicensure of professional/paraprofessional personnel. This legislative rule establishes the minimum
requirements for the licensure of educational personnel to be employed in the public schools of West Virginia.
Course Codes and Endorsements
A list of course codes for scheduling and the required endorsement for the assigned educator.
(Course Code link is located in the right column)
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) Certification Incentives
There are incentives for becoming certified by the National Board.
Transition to Teaching
WVDE-sponsored Transition to Teaching Project.
Troops to Teachers
Troops to Teachers information and contact information.
For Institutions of Higher Education
View accreditation, program reports, and program approval information
Reports and Data
Select one of the topics below to submit a question via email to the appropriate coordinator within the Office of Professional Preparation:
- Form 1/1A - First Class/Full-time Permit
- Form 2S and 2L - Short Term or Long Term Substitute Teacher Permit
- Form 3 - Teacher in Residence
- Form 4 - Renewal
- Form 4B - Character Reference
- Form 7 - Release of Background Results
- Form 8 - Additional Endorsement
- Form 9 - Duplicate Certificate / Name Change Request
- Form 12 - Advanced Salary and NBPTS Salary Suplement
- Form 19 - Administrative Licensure
- Form 20A - Initial Teaching License (Out-of-State Applicants)
- Form 20T - Initial Teaching License (In-State Applicants)
- Form 23 - Field/Clinical (Applicants Attending and Out-of-State Institution)
- Form 24 - Clinical Experience Permit
- Form 25 - Alternative Certification
- Form 25T - Transition to Teaching
- Form 26 - Restricted Content Endorsement
- Form 30 - Advanced Credentials
- Form 32 - Moving Expenses Reimbursements
- Form 34 - Praxis Reimbursement for Transition to Teaching
- Form 35 - Advanced Credentials
- Form 36 - Tuition Reimbursements
- Form 37 - NBPTS Fee Reimbursements
- Form 38 - Temporary Authorizations
- Form 39 - Coach/AT/LFT Authorization
- Form 40 - Paraprofessional
- Form 41 - Early Childhood Classroom Assistant Teacher (ECCAT)
- Form 42 - Permanent Authorizations
- Form 43 - Student Support Salary Supplement Initial
- Form 44 - Student Support Salary Supplement Renewal
- Form 50 - Community Programs Authorization
- Form 60 - Educational Interpreter
- V Forms (7,9,10,14,15,16,17 & 18) - Career and Technical Education
For certification-related information not listed above or not on the website, use the
Certification Toll-Free Line: