| WVDE VACANCIES Title of Vacancy
These are vacancies in the
WV Department of Education.
For jobs in the School System visit
WV K-12 Job-Bank
Executive Director, Office of Professional Preparation, Charleston, WV
Executive Director, Office of Professional Preparation
1. The staff member works effectively as a member of an educational team.
2. The staff member demonstrates self-control and exhibits an attitude of mutual respect.
3. The staff member is ethical and demonstrates good work habits, including punctuality and attendance.
4. The staff member demonstrates an ability to work effectively with public school educators, higher education, the WV Legislature, the WV Board of Education, and with county personnel and other state/local agencies.
5. The staff member attends the WV Board of Education and other meetings when directed.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide leadership to help advance the mission of the West Virginia Board of Education and the Division of Educator Quality and System Support.
2. Provide statewide leadership in the articulation of issues and development of policy for matters related to standards for educator quality for the primary purpose of improving student learning: educator preparation, recruitment, retention, licensure and professional development.
3. Develop and support an Office of Professional Preparation team by fostering positive relationships toward the common goal of assuring that all educators are appropriately licensed to be highly effective.
4. Provide leadership and organizational management skills in order to support the ongoing implementation of the revised educator evaluation system.
5. Provide state-level leadership in order to collaborate with higher education to assure increased rigor and relevance in educator preparation programs that prepare educators to be successful in next generation learning environments.
6. Serve as the state representative at meetings of the National Association of the Directors of Teacher Certification (NASDTEC); the Teacher Education Advisory Council (TEAC); the WV Commission for Professional Teaching Standards; WV Legislature; WVDE Coordinating Council; and other boards and commissions that advance educator quality agendas.
7. Provide leadership for the development, revision and implementation of State Board policies related to the licensure of educational personnel and the approval of educational personnel preparation programs.
8. Demonstrate the ability to build consensus among groups and to work effectively with personnel to bring about positive change.
9. Plan, organize, schedule, monitor and evaluate all office personnel and activities to ensure effective and efficient operations.
10. Work effectively as a team member to support all initiatives of the Division of Educator Quality and System Support and other divisions within the WVDE.
11. Perform other assignments as deemed appropriate and necessary by the Assistant Superintendent of the Division of Educator Quality and System Support, the Associate Superintendent, the Deputy Superintendent and the State Superintendent of Schools.
Department of Education staff are employed upon recommendation of the State Superintendent of Schools and are state employees. No representative or employee of the state is authorized to enter into any employment contract or other agreement. Department staff work under the direction of the State Superintendent of Schools for the general supervision of the free schools in the state and implementing the policies of the Board and other necessary tasks as determined by the State Superintendent or his/her designee. Each employee is "at-will" and subject to termination by the State Superintendent at any time, with or without notice, cause, or compensation.
The employment relationship between the State Superintendent and the employee may be terminated by either party. Reasons for termination by the State Superintendent include, but are not limited to, immorality, incompetency, cruelty, insubordination, intemperance, willful neglect of duty, unsatisfactory performance, the conviction of a felony or a guilty plea or a plea of nolo contendere to a felony charge, misuse of funds or property, violations of law or policies of the State Board, lack of need, or a lack or loss of funding.
1. A Masters Degree in a public education related field.
2. Three years of administrative or supervisory experience.
3. Public school (PK-12) teaching, administrative and/or student support experience.
4. A demonstrated ability to plan, implement, supervise and evaluate the program related activities of a high-functioning team of professionals.
5. Experience in the area of educator licensure and issues related to educator quality.
6. The demonstration of good work habits, self-motivation, and can manage multiple tasks to accomplish high quality work to meet demanding deadlines.
7. Excellent ability to communicate, both written and verbally, with individuals and groups in a professional manner and on a high level.
8. Strong facilitation, organization, and strategic planning skills.
9. Excellent financial planning and management skills.
10. The demonstration of successful prior and/or current employment as documented by references that identify satisfactory work habits and a strong work ethic including:
• positive interpersonal relationships with colleagues and supervisors
• strong leadership skills and demonstrated ability to build consensus and provide positive results
• excellent communication skills (oral and written)
• successful and timely completion of assignments
• excellent punctuality and attendance
• strong knowledge of W.Va. Code and WVBE policy
NOTE: Selected applicants will be required to demonstrate oral and written communication proficiency through activities during the interview session.
Candidates for employment must complete an official application form that may be obtained by contacting the Office of Human Resources at (304) 558-2702. The application may also be downloaded online at http://wvde.state.wv.us/hr/
Closing Date (by 4:00pm Eastern Daylight Time)Apply to
August 21, 2013
Liz Bryant, Secretary
Office of Human Resources
Building 6, Room 264
1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East
Charleston, West Virginia 25305-0330
WVDE Employment Applications
The following applications are offered as PDF documents. You can download
a copy of Acrobat Reader (a free pdf reader) from http://www.adobe.com
The West Virginia Board of Education and the West Virginia Department of Education do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, disability, age and national origin in employment and in administration of any of their education programs and activities. Inquiries may be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (304) 558-2702 or to the Section 504 Coordinator at (304) 558-2696, West Virginia Department of Education, 1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East, Charleston, West Virginia 25305; or to the Office of Civil Rights at (215) 656 8541 [TDD (877) 521-2172], U.S. Department of Education, 100 Penn Square East, Suite 515, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107-3323.