| WVDE VACANCIES Title of Vacancy
These are vacancies in the
WV Department of Education.
For jobs in the School System visit
WV K-12 Job-Bank
Principal, Burlington Center and J.M. “Chick” Buckbee Juvenile Center
Division of Technical and Adult Education, Office of Institutional Education Programs
1. The staff member works effectively as a member of an educational team.
2. The staff member demonstrates self control.
3. The staff member exhibits an attitude of mutual respect and tolerance.
4. The staff member is ethical.
5. The staff member demonstrates good work habits.
6. The staff member demonstrates effective writing and oral presentation skills.
7. The staff member demonstrates expertise in areas of responsibility.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide purpose and direction for the school.
2. Provide instructional leadership and support within the school programs.
3. Establish and maintain appropriate administrative functions in the school.
4. Create a climate conducive to teaching and learning.
5. Communicate effectively with host agency, school staff and central office staff to maximize the efficiency of the school.
6. Enhance quality of the school.
7. Demonstrate cognitive skills to gather, analyze and synthesize information to reach goals.
8. Organize and delegate to accomplish goals.
9. Implement a system to monitor student progress.
10. Establish and implement a school improvement process.
11. Maintain an effective working relationship with the Office of Institutional Education Programs.
12. Employ a program of personnel supervision and management, including evaluation of personnel under the principal’s supervision according to Policy 5310.
13. Manage consensus and group behaviors.
14. Establish good host agency and public employee relations.
15. Assure compliance with all applicable policies, regulations, and laws.
16. Maintain and upgrade professional skills in order to accomplish job goals.
17. Perform other necessary or desirable job related duties as assigned by the Superintendent of the Office of Institutional Education Programs.
Department of Education staff are employed upon recommendation of the State Superintendent of Schools and are state employees. No representative or employee of the state is authorized to enter into any employment contract or other agreement. Department staff work under the direction of the State Superintendent of Schools for the general supervision of the free schools in the state and the implementation of the policies of the Board and other necessary tasks as determined by the State Superintendent or his/her designee. Each employee is "at-will" and subject to termination by the State Superintendent at any time, with or without notice, cause, or compensation.
The employment relationship between the State Superintendent and the employee may be terminated by either party. Reasons for termination by the State Superintendent include, but are not limited to, immorality, incompetency, cruelty, insubordination, intemperance, willful neglect of duty, unsatisfactory performance, the conviction of a felony or a guilty plea or a plea of nolo contendere to a felony charge, misuse of funds or property, violations of law or policies of the State Board, lack of need, or a lack or loss of funding.
1. Full certification as a school principal at the middle and high school level as set forth in State Board of Education Policy 5202.
2. Possesses the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully: (a) perform the job requirements (b) work within the special setting of an institution for troubled youth (c) work as part of a treatment team in concert with others (d) exhibit strong personnel management qualities; and (e) possess a strong background in curriculum.
3. Knowledge and experience in providing educational services to challenging students.
Candidates for employment must complete an official application form that may be obtained by contacting the Office of Human Resources at (304) 558-2702. The application may also be downloaded online at http://wvde.state.wv.us/hr/
$47,878.00 - $90,127.55 commensurate with educational level and years of experience.
Closing Date (by 4:00pm Eastern Daylight Time)Apply to
July 01, 2013
Liz Bryant, Secretary
Office of Human Resources
Building 6, Room 264
1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East
Charleston, West Virginia 25305-0330
Responsible to the Superintendent of Office of Institutional Education Programs or designee.
Term of position
Per State Board Policy 5310
WVDE Employment Applications
The following applications are offered as PDF documents. You can download
a copy of Acrobat Reader (a free pdf reader) from http://www.adobe.com
The West Virginia Board of Education and the West Virginia Department of Education do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, disability, age and national origin in employment and in administration of any of their education programs and activities. Inquiries may be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (304) 558-2702 or to the Section 504 Coordinator at (304) 558-2696, West Virginia Department of Education, 1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East, Charleston, West Virginia 25305; or to the Office of Civil Rights at (215) 656 8541 [TDD (877) 521-2172], U.S. Department of Education, 100 Penn Square East, Suite 515, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107-3323.