| WVDE VACANCIES Title of Vacancy
These are vacancies in the
WV Department of Education.
For jobs in the School System visit
WV K-12 Job-Bank
Teacher in Juvenile Setting, J. M. “Chick” Buckbee Juvenile Center, Augusta, WV
Division of Technical and Adult Education, Office of Institutional Education Programs
1. The staff member works effectively as a member of an educational team.
2. The staff member demonstrates self-control.
3. The staff member exhibits an attitude of mutual respect and tolerance.
4. The staff member is ethical.
5. The staff member demonstrates good work habits.
6. The staff member demonstrates effective writing and oral presentation skills.
7. The staff member demonstrates expertise in areas of responsibility.
8. The staff member demonstrates adequate computer skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Implements adopted programs of study as prescribed in State Board of Education Policies 2800 and 2510.
2. Provides appropriate application of the laws regarding special education,as prescribed in State Board of Education Policy 2419.
3. Fosters a classroom climate conducive to learning.
4. Utilizes instructional management systems that increase student performance.
5. Monitors student progress toward mastery of content standards and objectives.
6. Meets professional responsibilities.
7. Complies with security regulations and institutional rules.
8. Communicates with Division of Juvenile Services staff, county school district staff and outside agencies/personnel to foster student success.
9. Conducts educational assessment.
10. Develops lesson plans in accordance with the Content Standards, which contribute to student achievement and success.
11. Maintains accurate records of attendance and performance on all students.
12. Utilizes a variety of proven instructional strategies to meet the diverse needs of a multi-level classroom.
13. Utilizes a wide variety of interventions for classroom and behavior management; and
14. Maintains and upgrades professional skills.
15. Perform such other tasks or assume such other responsibilities as the superintendent or immediate supervisor may assign.
Department of Education staff are employed upon recommendation of the state superintendent of schools and are state employees. No representative or employee of the state is authorized to enter into any employment contract or other agreement. Department staff work under the direction of the state superintendent of schools for the general supervision of the free schools in the state and implementing the policies of the board and other necessary tasks as determined by the state superintendent or his/her designee. Each employee is “at-will” and subject to termination by the state superintendent at any time, with or without notice, cause or compensation.
The employment relationship between the state superintendent and the employee may be terminated by either party. Reasons for termination by the state superintendent include, but are not limited to, immorality, incompetency, cruelty, insubordination, intemperance, willful neglect of duty, unsatisfactory performance, the conviction of a felony or a guilty plea or a plea of no contest to a felony charge, misuse of funds or property, violations of law or policies of the state board, lack of need, or a lack or loss of funding.
1. Holds or qualifies for a professional teaching certificate endorsed in Secondary Mathematics and/or Science as defined by State Board of Education Policy 5202 or willing to secure certification in these areas.
2. Demonstrates a high level of ability in the areas of assessment and instruction.
3. Possesses the knowledge skills and ability to successfully (a) perform the job requirements (b) work within the special setting of a Juvenile Center and (c) work as part of a rehabilitation team in concert with others.
Candidates for employment must complete an official application form that may be obtained by contacting the Office of Human Resources at (304) 558-2702. The application may also be downloaded online at http://wvde.state.wv.us/hr/
1. Certification in Special Education.
2. Knowledge of the Juvenile Justice System.
3. Experience in working within a trouble youth environment.
4. A minimum of three (3) years of school experience.
$33,438.00-$59,497.00 Based on the 2012-2013 Hampshire County Salary Schedule commensurate with educational level and years of experience.
Closing Date (by 4:00pm Eastern Daylight Time)Apply to
June 26, 2013
Liz Bryant, Secretary
Office of Human Resources
Building 6, Room 264
1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East
Charleston, West Virginia 25305-0330
Responsible to the assigned principal or administrator.
Term of position
Per State Board Policy 5310.
WVDE Employment Applications
The following applications are offered as PDF documents. You can download
a copy of Acrobat Reader (a free pdf reader) from http://www.adobe.com
The West Virginia Board of Education and the West Virginia Department of Education do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, disability, age and national origin in employment and in administration of any of their education programs and activities. Inquiries may be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (304) 558-2702 or to the Section 504 Coordinator at (304) 558-2696, West Virginia Department of Education, 1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East, Charleston, West Virginia 25305; or to the Office of Civil Rights at (215) 656 8541 [TDD (877) 521-2172], U.S. Department of Education, 100 Penn Square East, Suite 515, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107-3323.