| WVDE VACANCIES Title of Vacancy
These are vacancies in the
WV Department of Education.
For jobs in the School System visit
WV K-12 Job-Bank
Teacher of Adult Education in Regional Jail Setting, Southwestern Regional Jail, Holden, WV
Division of Technical and Adult Education, Office of Adult Institutional Education Programs
1. The staff member works effectively as a member of an educational team.
2. The staff member demonstrates self control.
3. The staff member exhibits an attitude of mutual respect and tolerance.
4. The staff member is ethical.
5. The staff member demonstrates good work habits.
6. The staff member demonstrates effective writing and oral presentation skills.
7. The staff member demonstrates expertise in areas of responsibility.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Implements adopted programs of study.
2. Fosters a classroom climate conducive to learning.
3. Utilizes instructional management systems which increase student learning.
4. Monitors student progress toward mastery of instructional goals and objectives.
5. Meets professional responsibilities.
6. Complies with security regulations and institutional rules.
7. Works in a cooperative manner with regional jail staff to insure a safe and secure environment and the integration of treatment and educational goals.
8. Maintains and upgrades professional skills.
9. Participates in required security training.
10. Develops and operates a full-time education program at the regional jail which meets the needs of the target population.
11. May require flexibility in work hours to meet the needs of the target population.
12. Complies with the requirements of the Employee Handbook of the Office of Institutional Education Programs.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
Department of Education staff are employed upon recommendation of the state superintendent of schools and are state employees. No representative or employee of the state is authorized to enter into any employment contract or other agreement. Department staff work under the direction of the state superintendent of schools for the general supervision of the free schools in the state and implementing the policies of the board and other necessary tasks as determined by the state superintendent or his/her designee. Each employee is “at-will” and subject to termination by the state superintendent at any time, with or without notice, cause or compensation.
The employment relationship between the state superintendent and the employee may be terminated by either party. Reasons for termination by the state superintendent include, but are not limited to, immorality, incompetency, cruelty, insubordination, intemperance, willful neglect of duty, unsatisfactory performance, the conviction of a felony or a guilty plea or a plea of no contest to a felony charge, misuse of funds or property, violations of law or policies of the state board, lack of need, or a lack or loss of funding.
1. Holds or qualifies for a West Virginia Professional Teaching Certificate.
2. Possesses the knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully: (a) perform the job requirements; (b) work within a regional jail setting; and (c) work as part of an education and rehabilitation team in concert with others.
Candidates for employment must complete an official application form that may be obtained by contacting the Office of Human Resources at (304) 558-2702. The application may also be downloaded online at http://wvde.state.wv.us/hr/
1. Background in English/Language Arts and/or Remedial Reading.
2. Experience in working with inmates or troubled youth.
3. Knowledge and skills in computer assisted instruction.
4. Knowledge and skills in the education of the adult learner.
Based on the 2012-2013 Logan County Salary Schedule commensurate with educational level and years of experience.
Closing Date (by 4:00pm Eastern Daylight Time)Apply to
February 08, 2013
Liz Bryant, Secretary
Office of Human Resources
Building 6, Room 264
1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East
Charleston, West Virginia 25305-0330
Responsible to the Coordinator of Regional Jails in the Office of Institutional Education Programs.
Term of position
Per State Board Policy 5310
WVDE Employment Applications
The following applications are offered as PDF documents. You can download
a copy of Acrobat Reader (a free pdf reader) from http://www.adobe.com
The West Virginia Board of Education and the West Virginia Department of Education do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, disability, age and national origin in employment and in administration of any of their education programs and activities. Inquiries may be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (304) 558-2702 or to the Section 504 Coordinator at (304) 558-2696, West Virginia Department of Education, 1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East, Charleston, West Virginia 25305; or to the Office of Civil Rights at (215) 656 8541 [TDD (877) 521-2172], U.S. Department of Education, 100 Penn Square East, Suite 515, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107-3323.