| WVDE VACANCIES Title of Vacancy
These are vacancies in the
WV Department of Education.
For jobs in the School System visit
WV K-12 Job-Bank
Adult Basic Education Teacher (Part-time), Parkersburg Correctional Center, Parkersburg, WV
Division of Technical and Adult Education, Office of Institutional Education Programs
1. The staff member works effectively as a member of an educational team at the Parkersburg Correctional Center.
2. The staff member demonstrates self-control.
3. The staff member exhibits an attitude of mutual respect and tolerance.
4. The staff member is ethical.
5. The staff member demonstrates good work habits.
6. The staff member demonstrates effective writing and oral presentation skills.
7. The staff member demonstrates an ability to work effectively with institution personnel.
8. The staff member demonstrates expertise in areas of responsibility.
9. The staff member demonstrates adequate computer skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Fosters a classroom climate conducive to learning.
2. Utilizes instructional management systems models which increase student learning and maximizes time on task.
3. Monitors studentsí progress towards accomplishing instructional goals and objectives.
4. Communicates within the educational community and host staff.
5. Meets professional responsibilities.
6. Maintain professional work habits.
7. Assists with efficient operations of the school.
8. Integrates educational plan with the total treatment plan.
9. Plans and provides prescriptive learning experiences for identified and participating students.
11. Provides information and/or conducts pupil assessments as a member of the school team.
12. Participates in required security training.
13. Performs satisfactorily all indicators of attainment of the performance standards for teachers in Policy 5310.
14. Performs other necessary and desirable job related duties as assigned by the principal or lead teacher.
Department of Education staff are employed upon recommendation of the State Superintendent of Schools and are state employees. No representative or employee of the state is authorized to enter into any employment contract or other agreement. Department staff work under the direction of the State Superintendent of Schools for the general supervision of the free schools in the state and implementing the policies of the Board and other necessary tasks as determined by the State Superintendent or his/her designee. Each employee is "at-will" and subject to termination by the State Superintendent at any time, with or without notice, cause, or compensation.
The employment relationship between the State Superintendent and the employee may be terminated by either party. Reasons for termination by the State Superintendent include, but are not limited to, immorality, incompetency, cruelty, insubordination, intemperance, willful neglect of duty, unsatisfactory performance, the conviction of a felony or a guilty plea or a plea of nolo contendere to a felony charge, misuse of funds or property, violations of law or policies of the State Board, lack of need, or a lack or loss of funding.
1. Qualifies for or holds a West Virginia Professional Teaching Certification in any area.
2. Possesses the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully: (a) perform the job requirements (b) work within the special setting of an institution for troubled youth and/or adult and (c) works as a part of a treatment team in concert with others.
1. Experience in teaching troubled, at risk, or incarcerated youth offenders and/or adults.
2. A minimum of three (3) years teaching experience.
$18.00 per hour.
Closing Date (by 4:00pm Eastern Daylight Time)Apply to
February 27, 2013
Liz Bryant, Secretary
Office of Human Resources
Building 6, Room 264
1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East
Charleston, West Virginia 25305-0330
Responsible to the assigned administrator at the Parkersburg Correctional Center.
Term of position
Part-time not to exceed 1,039 hours in a fiscal year.
Per State Board Policy 5310
WVDE Employment Applications
The following applications are offered as PDF documents. You can download
a copy of Acrobat Reader (a free pdf reader) from http://www.adobe.com
The West Virginia Board of Education and the West Virginia Department of Education do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, disability, age and national origin in employment and in administration of any of their education programs and activities. Inquiries may be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (304) 558-2702 or to the Section 504 Coordinator at (304) 558-2696, West Virginia Department of Education, 1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East, Charleston, West Virginia 25305; or to the Office of Civil Rights at (215) 656 8541 [TDD (877) 521-2172], U.S. Department of Education, 100 Penn Square East, Suite 515, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107-3323.