| WVDE VACANCIES Title of Vacancy
These are vacancies in the
WV Department of Education.
For jobs in the School System visit
WV K-12 Job-Bank
Transitional Skills Instructor (Part-time), Parkersburg Correctional Center, Parkersburg, WV
Division of Technical and Adult Education, Office of Institutional Education Programs
1. The staff member works effectively as a member of an educational team.
2. The staff member demonstrates self control.
3. The staff member exhibits an attitude of mutual respect and tolerance.
4. The staff member is ethical.
5. The staff member demonstrates good work habits.
6. The staff member demonstrates expertise in areas of responsibility.
7. The staff member demonstrates effective writing and oral presentation skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provides education necessary for effective reintegration into society and the workplace;
2. Provides instruction in the Departmentís social skills curriculum which includes, but is not limited to, the following areas:
a. Anger control
b. Communication skills
c. Interpersonal relationship skills
d. Decision making and problem solving skills
e. Use of community agencies and resource
f. Family living
h. Domestic violence
i. Substance abuse education and co-dependency
j. Other identified social skill areas.
3. Identifies social deficit areas of each student and assists in developing individualized rehabilitative strategies.
4. Schedules classes and is able to work within the constraints of a prison setting.
5. Prepares learning materials and implements an instructional program designed to effectively teach social living skills.
6. Maintains all records of student participation and progress and prepares all monthly reports as may be required.
7. Performs other duties as assigned.
8. May required flexibility in work hours to meet the needs of the target population.
9. Participates in required security training.
Department of Education staff are employed upon recommendation of the state superintendent of schools and are state employees. No representative or employee of the state is authorized to enter into any employment contract or other agreement. Department staff work under the direction of the state superintendent of schools for the general supervision of the free schools in the state and implementing the policies of the board and other necessary tasks as determined by the state superintendent or his/her designee. Each employee is ďat-willĒ and subject to termination by the state superintendent at any time, with or without notice, cause or compensation.
The employment relationship between the state superintendent and the employee may be terminated by either party. Reasons for termination by the state superintendent include, but are not limited to, immorality, incompetency, cruelty, insubordination, intemperance, willful neglect of duty, unsatisfactory performance, the conviction of a felony or a guilty plea or a plea of no contest to a felony charge, misuse of funds or property, violations of law or policies of the state board, lack of need, or a lack or loss of funding.
1. Masterís degree from an accredited institution in Counseling and Guidance or Psychology; or a professional educator with a Masterís degree and experience in an area specifically related to the job assignment.
2. Ability to work in a state correctional institution and successfully carry out the duties and responsibilities of an adult affective skills and social skills instructor.
3. Holds or qualifies for a valid West Virginia Professional Teaching Certificate, Student Support Certificate or adult education permit.
4. Effective written and oral presentation skills.
5. Possesses the knowledge skills and ability to successfully; (a) perform the job requirements (b) Work within a correctional setting; and (c) work as part of a rehabilitation team in concert with others.
1. Knowledge of computer aided instruction.
2. Experience in working with incarcerated individuals or troubled youth.
3. Knowledge, skills and experience in working with adult learners.
$18.00 per hour
Closing Date (by 4:00pm Eastern Daylight Time)Apply to
January 04, 2013
Liz Bryant, Secretary
Office of Human Resources
Building 6, Room 264
1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East
Charleston, West Virginia 25305-0330
Responsible to the assigned administrator at the Parkersburg Correctional Center.
Term of position
Part-time not to exceed 1,039 hours in a fiscal year.
Per State Board Policy 5310
WVDE Employment Applications
The following applications are offered as PDF documents. You can download
a copy of Acrobat Reader (a free pdf reader) from http://www.adobe.com
The West Virginia Board of Education and the West Virginia Department of Education do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, disability, age and national origin in employment and in administration of any of their education programs and activities. Inquiries may be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (304) 558-2702 or to the Section 504 Coordinator at (304) 558-2696, West Virginia Department of Education, 1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East, Charleston, West Virginia 25305; or to the Office of Civil Rights at (215) 656 8541 [TDD (877) 521-2172], U.S. Department of Education, 100 Penn Square East, Suite 515, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107-3323.