| WVDE VACANCIES Title of Vacancy
These are vacancies in the
WV Department of Education.
For jobs in the School System visit
WV K-12 Job-Bank
Reading Specialist, Elkins Mt. School, Elkins, WV
Division of Teaching and Learning, Office of Optional Educational Pathways
1. The staff member works effectively as a member of an educational team, which is integrated, with the total treatment program provided by Elkins Mountain School.
2. The staff member demonstrates self control.
3. The staff member exhibits an attitude of mutual respect and tolerance.
4. The staff member is ethical.
5. The staff member demonstrates good work habits.
6. The staff member demonstrates effective writing and oral presentation skills.
7. The staff member demonstrates expertise in areas of responsibility.
8. The staff member demonstrates adequate computer skills.
9. The staff member implements the strategic plan, mission, goals, and philosophy of the Office of Optional Educational Pathways.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Implement schoolís program of studies.
2. Foster a classroom climate conducive to learning.
3. Utilize instructional management systems which increases student learning and maximizes time on task.
4. Monitor student progress towards mastery of content standards and objectives.
5. Communicate within the educational community and with parents.
6. Meet professional responsibilities.
7. Maintain professional work habits.
8. Assist with the efficient operation of the school.
9. Participate in student assistance team/individual education plan meetings.
10. Provide resources and training to school staff on scientifically-based reading research and evidence-based practices.
11. Provide reading instruction to middle and high school students.
12. Implement remedial reading instruction to children who demonstrate need.
13. Assist regular classroom teachers in collaboration efforts regarding reading instruction.
14. Sustain reading instruction according to State board Policy 2510.
15. Maintain appropriate educational records.
16. Perform satisfactorily all indicators of obtainment of the performance standards for teachers in Policy 5310.
17. Performs other necessary duties as assigned by the school principal or lead teacher.
Department of Education staff are employed upon recommendation of the state superintendent of schools and are state employees. No representative or employee of the state is authorized to enter into any employment contract or other agreement. Department staff work under the direction of the state superintendent of schools for the general supervision of the free schools in the state and implementing the policies of the board and other necessary tasks as determined by the state superintendent or his/her designee. Each employee is ďat-willĒ and subject to termination by the state superintendent at any time, with or without notice, cause or compensation.
The employment relationship between the state superintendent and the employee may be terminated by either party. Reasons for termination by the state superintendent include, but are not limited to, immorality, incompetency, cruelty, insubordination, intemperance, willful neglect of duty, unsatisfactory performance, the conviction of a felony or a guilty plea or a plea of no contest to a felony charge, misuse of funds or property, violations of law or policies of the state board, lack of need, or a lack or loss of funding.
1. Possesses a masterís degree, has completed a graduate level reading specialist program, possesses a reading authorization, or has completed a reading endorsement program as required by State Board Policy 5202.
2. Possesses the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully: (a) perform the job requirements; (b) work within the special setting of an institution for troubled youth; and (c) work as part of a treatment team in concert with others.
Candidates for employment must complete an official application form that may be obtained by contacting the Office of Human Resources at (304) 558-2702. The application may also be downloaded online at http://wvde.state.wv.us/hr/
$34,487-$58,897 Based on the 2012-2013 Randolph County Salary Schedule commensurate with educational level and years of experience.
Closing Date (by 4:00pm Eastern Daylight Time)Apply to
January 29, 2013
Liz Bryant, Secretary
Office of Human Resources
Building 6, Room 264
1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East
Charleston, West Virginia 25305-0330
Responsible to the assigned administrator.
Term of position
Per State Board Policy 5310
WVDE Employment Applications
The following applications are offered as PDF documents. You can download
a copy of Acrobat Reader (a free pdf reader) from http://www.adobe.com
The West Virginia Board of Education and the West Virginia Department of Education do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, disability, age and national origin in employment and in administration of any of their education programs and activities. Inquiries may be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (304) 558-2702 or to the Section 504 Coordinator at (304) 558-2696, West Virginia Department of Education, 1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East, Charleston, West Virginia 25305; or to the Office of Civil Rights at (215) 656 8541 [TDD (877) 521-2172], U.S. Department of Education, 100 Penn Square East, Suite 515, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107-3323.