Troops to Teachers
Call To Service
Why Should Veterans Answer the Call of Public Service Again?
- In March of 2011, Forbes.com listed education at #3 of the 5 happiest careers and 10 happiest jobs in America. See the article here.
- Teaching at a K-12 level was listed as the #1 bulletproof career for 2009 in the Military Times Edge Magazine, because of strong job security during a recession.
- With a career in education, one can look forward to experiencing encounters with the students and professional staff that are similar to the experiences shared by members of the armed forces.
- Both careers bring the gratifying sense of accomplishment that is earned when you know you have made the world a better place through your honorable actions.
- Retiring military personnel will be looking for a new profession in public service.
- "The most satisfying jobs are mostly professions, especially those involving caring for, teaching, and protecting others and creative pursuits" - Tom W. Smith, Director of the General Social Survey (GSS) at the National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago. (Looking, 2007)
- "In 2007, more than 60 percent of education administrators responding to a survey said that they were very satisfied with their career." (Looking, 2007)
- In December of 2007, the teaching profession was also mentioned in an article for U.S. News and Report titled, "The Best Fields for Starting Over."
Hannon, K (2007,December, 4). The Best Fields for Starting Over. U.S.News and World Report, Retrieved May 23, 2008,
from U.S. News and World Report Website
University of Chicago (2007,April 19). Looking for Satisfaction And Happiness In A Career? Retrieved May 29, 2008,
from Science Daily Website