WVLearns - West Virginia Learns Online
Via this gateway, established in 2004, the West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE) realizes its vision of creating and centralizing many learning options and resources for students, parents, teachers, school personnel and WVDE staff. WVLearns provides the electronic delivery methods by which a wide variety of content can be developed and disseminated to appropriate audiences.. The content will vary from "just in time" tutorials designed to target specific skills and knowledge to complete courses for K-12 students, teachers and personnel.
Requests for New User Accounts on WVLearns
User accounts are created in several ways according to the status of the user and whether the account is based on an individual request or a group request.
- A student that enrolls in a WV Virtual School course that is delivered via the WVLearns site will automatically generate an account request. The account information will be provided via e-mail before the course begins.
- An employee of any West Virginia public school district or any RESA or the WVDE may use the Self-Registration link on the WVLearns login page to request an account. The account information will be provided via an e-mail upon review and approval of the request.
- Other individuals who wish to enroll in online courses or workshops in order to become certified as an educator or to renew an educator certificate in West Virginia may use the Self-Registration link on the WVLearns login page.
- Student accounts may be created in a batch process to support the enrollment of groups of students into online activities on the WVLearns site. Contact the WVLearns administrator for details.
- Accounts for employees of a West Virginia public school district or any RESA or the WVDE may be created in a batch process to support the group enrollment of those personnel into online activities on the WVLearns site. Contact the WVLearns administrator for details.
During the process of a self registration request for a new account, the applicant will be requested to provide certain information including current employment status, a valid e-mail address, a day time phone number, and a brief explanation of the intended use of the account.
New account requests are reviewed to determine if an account may have been previously created for the individual in order to avoid multiple accounts for one person. It is important that all educational activity on the WVLearns site be associated with a single account for each user.
Retrieving Usernames or Passwords for Existing Accounts on WVLearns
The WVLearns home page contains a "Forgot Password" link below the "Username" and "Password" login area.
The username is the key to retrieving a password. Currently, a password and username cannot be retrieved by entering only an e-mail address.
Usernames for employees of any West Virginia public school district or any RESA or the WVDE are created in one of the following ways:
- If the WVLearns account was based on an "access.k12.wv.us" e-mail account, the username for WVLearns is the same as the username part of that e-mail address. The owner of the e-mail address of firstname.lastname@example.org would have a WVLearns username of abiker. That username would be entered to retrieve the password via an e-mail message.
- If the WVLearns account was based on any other e-mail address, the WVLearns username would be based on the first initial of the first name of the person, the last name and 001. A person named Solo Biker would have a WVLearns username of sbiker001. If sbiker001 was entered as the username and the message would be sent to the wrong e-mail address, then the person should try entering sbiker002 or sbiker003 until the correct e-mail address for the password to be sent appears.