- Who are our customers and what support does the school, family, community partnership provide?
- How can we (as leaders) assure that all students receive the support they need to achieve high levels of performance and that all families and community members are treated as valued partners?
The West Virginia Department of Education has defined standards for principals that apply to culture as:
Standard V - Advocates and Creates Support Systems for All Students
The contemporary principal identifies students’ social, emotional, and physical needs into all facets of decision-making. This includes personalizing learning environments, differentiating instruction and implementing programs that attend to these needs. The principal will effectively collect and analyze data in order to insure students’ needs are recognized and addressed.
Create and administer a staff survey to assess the opportunities for involvement within the school. The parental involvement survey can be used as an example. How would you use the data from the survey?
Create and administrer a student survey to determine how effectively your school is actively involving the students. Do you have a student responsibility program that teaches students to be accountable for their learning? Do you offer student government, extracurricular activities, student-led conferences, or student eportfolios?"
View the PowerPoint “The Challenging Parent”. Are there other types of parents that you can identify? Come up with strategies that you can use in dealing with the parents in your school.
Dealing with the media can cause for a lot of stress, view The Media Connection.
- What does your community know about you and your school?
- Where did they get that information? Is it accurate? If not, how can you disseminate what is correct?
- Do you have business partners in the community?
Books and articles