[School-counselors] counselor log, state model, revised program audit, and program planning tools

Barb Ashcraft bashcraft at access.k12.wv.us
Tue Sep 11 10:38:26 EDT 2012

Hi all,

   I have had several questions about using the counselor log as you start
your school year and work to document your time to help you evaluate how you
are spending your time in relation to state requirements/recommendations.
As most of you are aware, we developed an electronic (now web-based) log.
The instructions for using the log are attached to assist you in getting
started if you plan to use the log.  The log is currently NOT required by
WVDE.  However, some counties are requiring use of the log because it helps
them see how counselors are utilizing your time in relation to WVBOE POLICY
2315 <http://wvde.state.wv.us/policies/p2315.pdf>  and helps them identify
areas of concern and provide targeted support for schools. This log is
designed to help you determine gaps and improve alignment with policy to
manage and design a comprehensive school counseling programs that better
serves all students.

  Additionally, the state taskforce that worked diligently to develop WV's
inaugural school counseling model completed its work this summer including
beginning revisions for WV School Counseling Student Standards that are
still a work in progress.  These revisions include the standards from 2315,
but also include incorporation of 21st Century skills and career and college
readiness standards.  We will continue to adapt the standards as we move
towards revising Policy 2315 this year.  Please let me know of any gaps you
see and feel free to send suggestions for revisions to the student
standards.  The new state model and implementation tools can be found here
http://wvde.state.wv.us/counselors/WVSchoolCounselorPerformanceStandards.htm
l. The model has been developed as a reference guide, not with the intention
of being read in one setting.  I recommend you save an electronic copy to
your desktop and print a desk copy for your reference. The program audit has
been condensed and formatted in a manner to help you better understand how
to use it as a compliment to the model. I have also attached the new school
counseling brochure that you can use to educate your staff during staff
meetings and to share with leadership to help others understand
comprehensive school counseling programs in West Virginia.

I hope you will continue to explore and use the school counseling website
http://wvde.state.wv.us/counselors to help enhance delivery of your program
throughout the year.  Again, best wishes for a successful school year.

PS> I apologize if you are getting this more than once.  We are in the
process of revising listservs and are using multiple lists until that
conversion has been made.

Barb

Barb Ashcraft Brady, Ph.D.

School Counseling Coordinator