gifted education banner
  December 18, 2009


* WV Gifted Education Home
* Contact WV Gifted Education
* WV Assoc. Gifted/Talented
* Search Previous Issues
  Upcoming Events


Teacher Preparation

Marshall University

Program requirements

West Virginia University

Program requirements

From the West Virginia Department of Education
Revisions in Policy 2419

     The previous language in Policy 2419 referred to the greater score between the verbal-performance scores. The new language is in keeping with the modern language of revised tests of intellectual ability.

     Revised language: "If the student's general intellectual ability score is unduly affected by performance in one or more composite scores, the evaluator may use, for purposes of eligibility, an alternate general ability index or an individual composite measure as permitted in the test manual or other technical reports."

     The second change affecting gifted education is to strengthen the requirement that is already in Policy 2510 for a Four-Year Education Plan that replaces the Individualized Student Transition Plan (ISTP).

     Revised language: "The four-year education plan replaces the Individualized Student Transition Plan (ISTP) and includes honors, Advanced Placement (AP) and/or International Baccalaureate (IB) classes that must be provided for the student in grades 9-12. The implementation and annual review of this plan are required of the district. The review team must include the student, parent and school representative."



Additional Resources

National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC)

National Research Center for Gifted Education and Talent Development

West Virginia Department of Education
Office of Special Programs, Extended and Early Learning
Building 6, Room 304
1900 Kanawha Blvd. E.
Charleston, WV 25305
Gifted education teachers in West Virginia receive this newsletter bi-weekly from the West Virginia Department of Education. To change your e-mail address or update your information, please email Vickie Mohnacky at or call (304) 558-2696.