Proposals Accepted for Even Start Family Literacy Projects

Posted: February 18, 2003
Charleston, W.Va. - The West Virginia Department of Education is now accepting proposals for Even Start Family Literacy projects. The program integrates early childhood education, adult literacy or adult basic education, and parenting education into a unified family literacy program. Eligible participants are low-income and low-literacy parents and their children, primarily birth through age seven.  

Applicants should be partnerships between one or more school districts and one or more nonprofit community programs. First authorized in 1988, Even Start is a part of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act - Title I, Part B, Subpart 3.  

Even Start grants require a local match. The match in year one is 10 percent of the total budget; year two, 20 percent; year three, 30 percent; year four, 40 percent; years five, six, seven, eight, 50 percent; and 65 percent each remaining year. Grants are for a four year period; however, requests for continuance must be submitted for years two, three, four, six, seven, eight, ten and after.  

For more information, contact Cathy R. Jones, Ed.D., Coordinator Early Childhood/Even Start, Building 6, Room 318, 1900 Kanawha Blvd, E., Charleston, WV 25305 or by phone at (304) 558-2691 or ctrjones@access.k12.wv.us.  

Even Start Indicators http://wvde.state.wv.us/tt/2003/EvenStartIndicatorsMay01.doc

Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.