The West Virginia Department of Education was awarded a one million dollar grant to be used from May 2001 to May 2005 for the Partnerships in Character Education Pilot Project. This funding is to be used primarily for staff development of local school systems and to provide funding for implementing character education through sub grants.
Each site submitted a grant application for review. The criteria for selection were based on the following goals:
· To introduce students to the principles of character education, to develop strong character in students
· To provide staff development for teachers and administrators in strategies for integration of character education into the existing curriculum with an emphasis on the core character traits: respect, responsibility, caring, citizenship, justice and fairness, and honesty
· To help create and sustain partnerships between schools and community to further enhance character education at the local level
· To provide technical assistance to the entire school community to ensure alignment of the character education initiative with state initiatives
· To ensure other accountability for effective state and local school system use of funds for the integration of character development.
The pilots sites are:
|County||School(s) Funded||Contact Person|
|Mercer County||Princeton Primary||Darlene Spencer|
|Wyoming County||Baileysville Grade School Glen Fork Grade School||Sid Bradford|
|Mingo County||County Wide||W.C. Totten|
|Mason County||Point Pleasant Middle||Rita Cooper|
|Wayne County||Buffalo Elementary Vinson Middle Kellogg Elementary Buffalo Middle||Jan Hackney|
|Nicholas County||Nicholas County High Summersville Jr.High Summersville Elementary Mt. Nebo Elementary Mt. Lookout Elementary Zela Elementary Dixie Elementary Birch River Elementary Muddlety Elementary||Damon Hanshaw|
|Braxton County||Braxton County Middle||Jean Bulka|
|Ritchie County||Harrisville Elementary Creed Collins Elementary Smithville Elementary Ellenboro Elementary Ritchie County Middle Ritchie County High||Linda Campbell|
|Jackson County||Henry J. Kaiser Elementary Ravenswood Grade Ravenswood Middle Ravenswood High||Pamela Yearego|
|Preston County||Preston County High||Edna Rothwell|
|RESA 7||West Milford Elementary Bridgeport Middle Liberty High||Lynn Bennett|
|Morgan County||Berkeley Springs High Warm Springs Middle Widmyer Elementary School||George Ward|
|Jefferson County||Blue Ridge Elementary C.W. Shipley Elementary North Jefferson Elementary Page Jackson Elementary Ranson Elementary Shepherdstwon Elementary South Jefferson Elementary T.A. Lowery Elementary Wright Denny Elementary||Sherry Hetzel|
|RESA 8||Dorcas Elementary Moorefield Middle Brandywine Elementary Augusta Elementary||Donna Kuhn|
In addition to the nine "Lighthouse Pilot Sites" selected last year, there are now 23 pilot sites for the entire character education project. If you would like further information concerning the grant program, contact Lisa Burton, Coordinator in the Office of Student Services and Assessment, firstname.lastname@example.org or 304-558-2546.