Main Content

WVDE Seeks Applicants for Literacy Grants

January 26, 2011

CHARLESTON, W.Va. – The West Virginia Department of Education is accepting proposals for the William F. Goodling Even Start Family Literacy Project. The program integrates early childhood education, adult literacy, adult basic education and parenting education into a unified family literacy program. The program seeks to help low-income families and their young children to break the cycle of poverty and literacy.
 
Applicants hoping to receive a portion of the $353,000 grant should be partnerships between one or more school districts and one or more nonprofit community organizations, public agencies or institutions of higher education. First authorized in 1988, Even Start was reauthorized under the No child Left Behind Act of 2001 -- Title I, Part B, Subpart 3.
 
To qualify for a grant, participants must recruit, screen and provide services to eligible families that are most in need of services, based on income, adult literacy levels or English language proficiency of the eligible parent or parents and other need-related indicators.
 
Even Start grants require a local match. The match in year one is 10 percent of the total budget; year two, 20 percent; year three, 30 percent; year four, 40 percent; years five through eight, 50 percent; and 65 percent each remaining year. Grants are for a four-year period; however, requests for continuance must be submitted for years two, three, four, six, seven, eight, 10 and after.

For more information and an application, contact W. Clayton Burch in the Office of School Readiness at 304-558-5325, or wburch@access.k12.wv.us, or the Office of Communications at 304-558-2699.

-- The West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE) is committed to ensuring all students in the state are college and career ready when they graduate from a public school. What West Virginia students are learning in school exceeds national and international standards. Through the WVDE’s 21st century learning plan called Global21: Students deserve it. The world demands it, West Virginia is seeing better student performance on the West Virginia Educational Standards Test 2 (WESTEST2); the SAT and the ACT college entrance exams; the job skills assessment called Work Keys given to career and technical education students; and in a high school graduation rate that exceeds the national average.

 

Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.


Recent News | News Archive