| WV K-12 Education Job-Bank
|| Open |
|LPN - Aide|
|RN - School Nurse|
Adult Basic Education Full Time ESL/EL Civics/ABE Instructor
1. Instruct students in GED, literacy, job-readiness skills, work process skills, life-coping skills,
2. Provide information regarding entry into classes and orientation to the ABE/ESL program to potential students upon request.
3. Administer appropriate instruments for registration, oral/written placement and needs assessment to determine skill levels and learner goals.
4. Conduct personal interviews with new students to set reasonable goals and plan and implement an appropriate course of instruction.
5. Manage multi-level classroom activities and provide instruction in a variety of ways (individual, pair-work, whole group, small group, computer assisted, tutorial, guest speakers, field trips, etc.) according to the learners’ needs.
6. Structure appropriate activities that develop basic skills in English (listening, speaking, reading, writing, pronunciation, and grammar) and in other academic areas (American history, citizen ship, civic participation, etc.) according to the learners’ identified needs.
7. Assist learners in developing and refining appropriate vocabulary and idioms for use in a variety of settings (academic, workplace, children’s schools, shopping, telephone conversations, completing forms, etc.) according to the learners’ needs.
8. Assist learners in becoming oriented to the local community (school system, public events, available services, etc.); in dealing with the challenges of living in a different culture; and in adapting to local customs and cultures.
9. Monitor and document learners’ progress in relation to identified goals using a variety of evaluation techniques (oral/written tests, formal/informal evaluations, web-based activities, portfolios, etc.).
10. Work with the local coordinator to promote the El/Civics program as a whole and collaborate with various agencies including the community-based organizations, business and industry, and educational and governmental institutions.
11. Provide information to learners about community services and educational/job opportunities.
12. Select and recommend the purchase of proper educational materials, supplies, and /or equipment for the class site(s).
13. Participate in at least the minimum required Core and Elective professional development sessions per year depending on the number of hours per week of employment:
• Up to 12 hours per week: Each program year, 6 hours of Core In-service Selections (until core requirements are completed)
• 13 hours or more per week: hourly/not full-time: Each program year, 6 hours of Core In-service Selection (until Core requirements are completed) and 3 hours of Approved Elective In-service Selections
• Full-time: Each program year, 6 hours of Core In-service Selections (until Core requirements are completed) and 6 hours of Approved Elective In-service Selections
• Temporary/Short Tem/Substitutes: Each program year, 3 hours of Core or Elective In-service Selections
(A teacher hired after March 1 of a given year will not have to comply with this In-service requirement until the following year.)
14. Plan for assigned class (es) and show evidence of preparation upon request.
15. Insure (through appropriate supervision) the safety and well-being of learners.
16. Perform other duties related to the ABE/ESL program as needed.
Job Location or School Name
RESA 3 - Garnet English as a Second Language, Kanawha County
1. West Virginia Teacher Certification (preferred) or Adult License
2. Bachelors or higher degree (TESOL, Linguistics, Social Studies, or English preferred)
3. Knowledge of the characteristics of adult learners and prior experience in working with adult learners is preferred.
4. Knowledge of the process of second language acquisition and prior experience in working with non-native English speakers is preferred.
5. Experience living outside the U.S., learning a foreign language, and/or adapting to a different culture is preferred.
6. Experience teaching adults in an adult learning center in a foreign country is preferred.
7. Experience working with computers and using education software is preferred.
8. ABE Pre-service training with an approved peer trainer completed prior to the start of any instructional activity.
9. Experience in preparing lesson plans and /or curriculum modules using on-line activities and resources are preferred.
10. Experience aligning IGO’s to curriculum is preferred.
Per Kanawha County Schools pay rate
REPORTS TO: Coordinator, Kanawha County Adult Basic Education
SCHEDULE: To be determined (May include some evening hours)
CONTRACT: All RESA 3 employees serve at the will and pleasure of the RESA 3 Director and/or the WV Board of Education.
Marie H. Bias-Jones
ABE Regional Coordinator
501 22nd Street
Dunbar, WV 25064
County Contact Email
Please note that jobs are posted by the county offices, not by the WVDE, and that participation is voluntary. If you are looking for jobs for a specific county or counties, check with their central office to make sure that they are participating.
View information about the teaching profession on our statewide recruitment website.