Interpretation's Date: June 16, 1993
by superintendent Henry Marockie
Section: IV. Students

February 16, 1993

Ms. June Mitchell Glover
838 Vinson Street
Williamson, West Virginia 25661

RE: Students_Repeating_A_Class

Dear Ms. Glover:

You have asked:

1. Whether it is legal for a school administration to delete a student's undesirable grades earned during a previous school term in order to record grades earned under a different teacher in the following school term.

2. Who has the legal right to "white-out" a grade recorded by the teacher of the class?

3. In the event future students have earned undesirable grades, will they be given the opportunity to have these undesirable grades replaced by taking the class over to a different teacher?

(1) Please refer to my enclosed January 29, 1992 (50), letter to Matthew H. Mills on the subject of replacing one passing grade with another. The school law is silent about this subject.

(2) The white-out of a grade recorded by the teacher of the class is a matter for determination by policy of the county board of education.

(3) The county board of education, upon advice from the county superintendent of schools, should decide whether students will have an opportunity to replace undesirable grades by taking a class over. In any event, the student will receive only a single credit for the course.

Hoping that I have been of service, I am



Henry Marockie
State Superintendent of Schools
c: Everett Conn

Back to Superintendent's Interpretations Home