2nd Annual West Virginia
High School Business Plan Competition
Hosted by the College of Business & Economics
West Virginia University
BrickStreet Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
One (1) $10,000 scholarship.
Open to all junior and senior students attending high school in the state of West Virginia as well as all career and technical centers in the state. Teams may consist of one to three members.
Create a Team (1-3 members) - Students may only submit one proposal per year.
The proposal must be:
- 3 pages maximum
- Cover Page (not counted in the 1-3 pages)
- Include: team name, team leader, team members
- Double spaced, 12 pt. font
- Submitted electronically, on-line (PitchBurner)
- First submission due November 14, 2014 by noon
- The student team leader will submit the business plan on the web site
- Must be saved and submitted as a PDF file - please name your file using the format Your Team Name_proposal.pdf
Business Plans should include the following information:
- Company description
- Product/service description
- Competitive Differentiation
- Customer and market analysis, including market size and potential customers
- Competitor Analysis
Judges from each region will then evaluate each submission based on a 100 point rubric. The ten (10) finalists, (top scores from each RESA region, plus next 2 highest scores) will advance to the final competition. Finalists will be announced December 12, 2014. Notifications will be made via email.
Coaching and Workshop
Finalists from each district will be paired with a business coach (volunteer) from December finalist announcement through the end of the competition. The coach will mentor and support the students in developing a complete business plan for their idea. This person can be a teacher or business leader in the community of that region.
Teams will turn in their final business plan March 6, 2015 by noon.
- Final Business Plan must be 12-15 pages
- Double spaced , 12 pt. font
- Include Cover Page
- Submissions will be done by team leaders on-line via Pitchburner
- Must be saved and submitted as a PDF file
Final judges will be able to grade business plans using the dada management system before they attend the final competition. Final competition held at WVU in Morgantown, WV in the Mountainlair March 21, 2015. Secondary schools will be responsible for providing transportation and hotel rooms for out of town students and judges.
Saturday, March 21, 2015
West Virginia University Mountainlair
|12:00 p.m.||Opening remarks|
|12:15 p.m.||Competition Begins|
|10 Minute Presentations 5 Minute Q&A|
|2:00 p.m.||Award $10,000 Scholarship|