Standard: Health Behaviors
Plan Title: “Dissecting a Holiday Meal”
HS.3.2 The student
will recognize and demonstrate the positive effects of nutrition and physical
activity on health.
and calorie chart
- Have all students bring in a recipe
of their favorite holiday food.
- Begin class by sharing what the food
- Take a vote on which food they believe
is highest in total calories, which food has the greatest percentage of fat
calories, and which food is probably the most nutritious.
- Each student is responsible for calculating
the approximate total calories from their recipe and the percentage of fat
calories (a review on how to calculate food calories should have preceded
- Follow this exercise with discussion
about not eating foods high in total calories and fat too often.
- Stress the importance of keeping the
fat intake around 20% so that one does not become overweight which leads to
many chronic diseases and related health problem.
- Emphasis that it is fun and okay to
celebrate the holidays with special meals but a steady diet of these rich
foods would lead to major health problems.
Health Learning Plan Links:
Prevention Skills activity: Guide to