School Health Services
WV Public Schools Health and Wellness Data
HealthCheck (EPSDT) for New School Enterers and Grade 2
WVDE Immunization Tool Kit
Resources related to schools using physical activity for disciplinary actions:
- The WVBE-Policy 4373, Section 3: Use of Physical Punishment Prohibited (http://wvde.state.wv.us/policies/) defines "corporal punishment" as requiring physical activity as a punishment (this does not apply to physical activity within the structure and context of extracurricular activities).
- The West Virginia Board of Education does not believe that students should be deprived of physical activity as a result of disciplinary action. Please view their April 2006 Position Statement on wellness at http://wvde.state.wv.us/news/1177/.
- The National Association of Sport and Physical Education's Position Statement: Physical Activity Used as Punishment and/or Behavior Management (2009).
New Bureau for Public Health Medical Exemption Resources
The WV Bureau for Public Health recently launched a Medical Exemptions Resource page on their website that describes the rationale and process for medical exemptions. The webpage can be found at: http://www.dhhr.wv.gov/oeps/immunization/Pages/MedEx.aspx. Click HERE to read the memo from Dr. Teresa Frazer, Deputy State Health Officer, with more information about the new webpage. Please continue to send all request for medical exemptions to the county local health officer/department.
Should you have any questions, please contact the Jeff Neccuzi, Director of the WV Division Immunization Services at (304) 558-2188 or by email at Jeffrey.J.Neccuzi@wv.gov.
Procedures for Local Health Departments in managing Adolescent Immunization
2013/14 School Nurse contact information:
The West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE)-Office of Healthy Schools continues to attempt to maintain a current school nurse roster, data base, listerve and directory. The school nurse roster, data base and listserve are updated daily as school nurses notify us. The School Nurse Directory is updated once a year in November and posted on our website. Please note we are NOT made aware of any school nursing assignments, hires, retirements or resignations so your assistance in keeping us up-to-date with your county changes in school nursing is much appreciated. Should you have a change in your contact information, picture, new school nurse(s) or LPN(s) in your county, please go to http://wvde.state.wv.us/healthyschools/section6/WVCSN.htm#SchoolNurseDataFormupdate your information.
WV State Board of Education (WVBE) Legislative Rule (Policy)
- The West Virginia Council of School Nurses is once again starting the review and revisions to Policy 2422.7-Standards for Basic and Specialized Health Care Procedures and the accompanying manual. The policy and manual were last aapproved by the West Virginia State Board of Education on August 11, 2010, with an effective date of September 13, 2010. Please contact your RESA WV Council of School Nurse at WVCOSN Directory.
Influenza (Seasonal and H1N1)
The West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE) and the West Virginia
Department of Health and Human Resources (WVDHHR) have maintained websites devoted to H1N1 and Seasonal Flu at http://wvde.state.wv.us/healthyschools/PandemicFlu.html and http://www.wvflu.org/. The CDC has developed new 2010-2011 educational information for schools. The following documents are available at http://www.flu.gov/professional/school/index.html#resources:
- How to Clean and Disinfect Schools to Help Slow the Spread of Flu
- Guidance for School Administrators to Help Reduce the Spread of Seasonal Influenza during the 2010-2011 School Year
- Information for Schools: Questions and Answers.
Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA)
- The WVDHHR-Division of Infectious Disease Epidemiology has updated current materials related to MRSA since several reports of ‘outbreaks’ have occurred with the start of the new school year, resulting in significant parental concern. Please go to http://wvde.state.wv.us/healthyschools/section6/HealthServices.htm#MRSA to find the updated materials under “MRSA” then “West Virginia Bureau for Public Health Information”.
Tuberculin Skin Test Reading
- The current recommendation for the reading of skin test reaction is now 72 hours after administration of a Tuberculin Skin Test (TST). Local Health Departments will be following these recommendations when reading TST for new enterers and transfer students from out-of-state.
Electronic Health Care Plan (EHCP)
- EHCP is available via a web based application that connects to WV Education Information System (WVEIS). School nurses may go to https://wveis.k12.wv.us/nclb/Snurse/Health/signon.cfm?Secure=1 to access the EHCP using their WVEIS ID number and personal password. If you are a school nurse and cannot access the website, please email your WVEIS ID number to Natalie Proctor at email@example.com so you can be registered as a valid user for this site.
- The WVDE is not made aware of any changes to your school assignments which may incur new WVEIS ID numbers making you unable to access your new student assignment. WVDE-Healthy Schools will make the appropriate changes upon notification of the new WVEIS ID number(s). Your cooperation in keeping us updated with your changes is greatly appreciated to ensure your ability to access the EHCP site.
- The current EHCP will allow for reimbursable funding for school health service related to the development of care plans and ten specialized health care procedures, which are sterile catheterization, sterile suctioning, mechanical ventilator, emergency tracheostomy care, emergency replacement of tracheostomy, insulin by injection, insulin by pump, DIASTAT, vagus nerve stimulator and metered dose inhaler. A total of $960,000 was appropriated by the legislature under the authority of W.Va. Code §18-5-22 for this purpose for the 2010-11 year. Half of these funds will be distributed in January 2011 and the remaining half will be distributed by June 30, 2011.
The EHCP data will be uploaded on December 31, 2010 and June 3, 2011 to ensure timely funding allocations. Again, please contact Natalie Proctor at the email address above or call (304) 558-8830 for assistance.
Surveys and Data
- 2012/13 School Nurse Needs Assessment Data
- The time has again come to tabulate the biennial school health services data. School nurses will receive an email with username and password to begin completing the survey. Please note this survey is a requirement by W.Va. Code §18-5-22(f) and West Virginia State Board of Education Rule (Policy 2422.7-Standards of Care, section 7.2). Participation is a must to show the local, regional and statewide needs of the children we serve through public school health services. Thank you in advance for your planned active participation. The survey completion date is October 31, 2013.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)-Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS) and Youth Tobacco Survey (YTS)
- The biennial survey time has arrived for randomly selected public schools to complete the YRBS and YTS. Please help support West Virginia to ensure we continue to have valid weighted data on the current health behaviors of our students.
- The 2009 YRBS data is located at http://wvde.state.wv.us/healthyschools/YRBS.htm or the CDC-Division of Adolescent School Health (DASH) website at http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/yrbs/index.htm. The CDC-DASH website has multiple reporting and comparison formats to meet your data needs.
- Health Education Assessment Project (HEAP)
- The current standardized health education assessment data for 2009-10 school year is posted at http://wvde.state.wv.us/healthyschools/HEAP.htm. Please use this data to drive your current health programming and education needs in your county. The data is listed by county and then school. A special thank you to all the school nurses who assisted health educators in the implementation of the HEAP during the 2009/10 school year.
The Office of Healthy Schools continues to offer the following online trainings to school personnel:
- Introduction to School Nursing (An online school nurse orientation training based on the 2006 School Nurse Mentorship Guide)
- OTC Drug Administration
Please have school personnel register from http://wvlearns.k12.wv.us/index.asp. The registrant should be provided with a speedy 24-48 hour email response for access to these training modules.