Revolutionary changes in technology, the global marketplace and
significant social, political and environmental issues dramatically
affect what students today must know. The challenge to educators and
parents is to provide instruction that is not only relevant and
engaging but that also includes the world-class rigor necessary to
prepare students to get a job in a culturally diverse,
technologically complex and economically competitive world.
Over the next three to five years, the West Virginia Department of
Education will maintain a steadfast focus on three goals of the West
Virginia Board of Education has for all of our children:
- Goal 1: To meet or exceed state, national and international curriculum standards that incorporate acquisition of 21st century skills.
- Goal 2: To develop the personal skills and dispositions of wellness, responsibility, cultural awareness, self-direction, ethical character and good citizenship.
- Goal 3: To graduate from high school prepared for post-secondary education and career success through personalized pathways and guidance.
These goals form the framework for the West Virginia Department of
Education's EducateWV planning, budgeting, internal staff monitoring
and accountability for results. We are reaching these goals by
focusing on four key priorities.
- Assuring we have great teachers who are honored, supported and rewarded because being an educator is a tough job.
- Providing greater flexibility to schools to encourage innovation.
- Persuading all parents, agencies, community and business leaders, and legislators that they have an important role in improving our schools.
- And most importantly, effectively serving the personal learning needs of each student.
Next Generation Standards
21st Century Learning Chronicle
The Chronicle provides an overview of the journey West Virginia took on its way to become a leader in 21st century education. It covers all changes from the original idea to making radical changes to all aspects of the educational system.
What are 21st Century Learners?
A 21st century learner is part of a generation that has never known a world without the Internet, without computers, without video games and without cell phones. They are digital natives who have grown up with information technology.
What are 21st Century Skills?
This document provides a list of the types of 21st century skills grouped in three broad and distinct categories.