- Coaches should be very clear in their own minds and with teams and individual educators about their roles.
- Coaches should be well-versed in the school improvement process, so, if requested, they can quickly & discreetly diagnose where the school is and what the appropriate next steps should be (based on current and relevant data).
- Coaches should NOT be directive, pushing for certain solutions; instead, they should be facilitative, helping schools identify their own values, goals, opportunities, and approaches.
- Effective coaches are confident, committed to team collaboration, inspiring and hopeful, disciplined, honest but confidential, credible, passionate about learning, well-versed in using data, comfortable asking hard questions, patient but persistent, self-motivated, curious and assertive.
- Coaches need a toolbox of strategies and techniques to facilitate teams and individuals; therefore, they must continuously learn & network with other coaches.
- Coaches should aim to build capacity within the school so that new leaders emerge who can sustain improvement.
West Virginia Department of Education
1900 Kanawha Boulevard East, Charleston, WV 25305
(Staff Phone and Email by Name) (School Directory)
Topics: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
For suggestions, questions, problems contact the webmaster
Please read our disclaimers
State Board |