Teacher in Residence Programs
A Teacher-in-Residence Program is an intensively supervised and mentored residency program for prospective teachers during their senior year that refines their professional practice skills and helps them gain the teaching experience needed to demonstrate competence as a prerequisite to certification to teach in the West Virginia public schools. Teacher-in-residence programs require authorization of the WVBE pursuant to W. Va. Code §18A-3-1(e).
Who can propose a program?
An institution of higher education with a WVBE approved teacher preparation program in the state may enter into an agreement with a county board of education to establish a teacher-in-residence program.
- The prospective teachers-in-residence shall: 1) have completed the content preparation courses with a minimum 3.0 GPA; 2) shall have meet the proficiency score(s) on the state competency exam(s) in preprofessional skills or qualify for an exemption as described in Section 6.2.c ofWVBE Policy 5100; and 3) shall have meet the proficiency score(s) on the state competency exam(s) in content or qualify for an exemption as described in Policy 5202 in the area for which s/he is seeking certification.
- The prospective teachers-in-residence shall only be eligible to serve in a teaching position in the county which has been posted and for which no other fully certified teacher has been employed.
- The agreement between the institution of higher education and the county board shall include the specifics regarding the program of instruction and the responsibilities for supervision and mentoring by the institution of higher education, the school principal, peer and mentor teachers.
- The salary and benefit costs for the position to which the teacher-in-residence is assigned shall be used only for program support and to pay the teacher-in-residence a stipend that is no less than 65% of all state aid funding.
- The prospective teacher-in residence shall satisfy the requirements for the Teacher-In-Resident Permit as identified in Policy 5202.
- The program must be approved by the WVBE.
Bluefield State College -- McDowell County
Concord University -- Fayette County, McDowell County, Mercer County, Raleigh County, Summers County, Wyoming County
Fairmont State University -- Berkeley County
WV State University -- Boone County, Clay County, Mingo County, Roane County
To submit a program please contact Robert Hagerman firstname.lastname@example.org or Linda Bragg email@example.com in the Office of Professional Preparation.