Board Minutes / Agenda
WEST VIRGINIA BOARD OF EDUCATION
Board Conference Room
Capitol Building 6, Room 353
1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East
Charleston, West Virginia
July 10, 2008
I. Call to Order
President Delores W. Cook called the meeting of the West Virginia Board of Education (WVBE) to order at 9:02 a.m. on July 10, 2008, in the Board Conference Room, Capitol Building 6, Room 353, 1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East, Charleston, West Virginia.
The following members were present: President Cook, Vice President Priscilla M. Haden, Secretary Ronald B. Spencer, Robert W. Dunlevy, Burma Hatfield, Lowell E. Johnson, Gayle C. Manchin, and Jenny N. Phillips, and ex officios Steven L. Paine, State Superintendent of Schools, and James L. Skidmore, Chancellor, West Virginia Council for Community and Technical College Education. Members absent were Barbara N. Fish and ex officio Brian E. Noland, Chancellor, West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission.
Mr. Dale Lee, President, West Virginia Education Association, and Mr. Scott Hottle, Mr. Mitchell Miller, and Ms. April Hottle, all of Roane County, addressed the Board.
III. Approval of Agenda
Upon motion by Mr. Spencer, seconded by Mr. Dunlevy, Board unanimously approved the agenda.
IV. Consent Agenda
President Cook requested that Consent Agenda item 6. West Virginia Pre-K County Plans for 2008–09, and Ms. Haden requested that Consent Agenda item 10. Waivers of West Virginia Board of Education (WVBE) Policies and Regulations, Superintendent's Interpretations and State Statutes and Legislative Rules be removed from the Consent Agenda for discussion and action to immediately follow approval of the Consent Agenda. Upon motion by Dr. Johnson, seconded by Ms. Phillips, the Board unanimously approved the Consent Agenda as amended. (Copies appended to Official Minutes, Attachments A through F, H through J, and L through Q.)
· Meeting minutes of June 4 and 5, 2008 (Attachment A)
· Budget supplement and transfer requests for the month of June 2008 as follows: total supplements = $205,322,627 and total transfers = $114,718,877 (Attachment B)
· Step 7 Plans (Public School Support Program) submitted by the 55 county boards of education for the 2008-09 year (Attachment C)
· Amendment to the Fayette County Comprehensive Educational Facilities Plan to include an update of the Building Program Utilization Worksheet and the floor plans for each school in the county, with the exception of schools that are currently scheduled for closure (Attachment D)
· Amendment to the Gilmer County Comprehensive Educational Facilities Plan to include the addition of two portable classrooms to be placed on the Normantown Elementary School property. The setup of which is to be contingent upon final review and approval of the appropriate regulatory agencies and the WVDE, Office of School Facilities. This approval is to be for a period of two years (Attachment E)
· Amendment to the Randolph County Comprehensive Educational Facilities Plan to include the temporary relocation of Elkins Middle School to Elkins High School in modular facilities. The setup of which is to be contingent upon final review and approval of the appropriate regulatory agencies and the WVDE, Office of School Facilities. This approval is to be for a period of one year (Attachment F)
· Four additional county applications representing summer school at 13 county locations (Attachment H)
· Policy 2520.16, Alternative Academic Achievement Standards for West Virginia Schools (Attachment I)
· Increased the processing fee for the issuance of a license to work in the public schools of West Virginia from $15 to $25, effective September 1, 2008 (Attachment J)
· The accreditation status as listed in the Final Individual School Report for the Roane Jackson Technical Center (Attachment L)
· The accreditation status as listed in the Final Individual School Report for Page Jackson Elementary School and continued the Full Approval status of the Jefferson County School System (Attachment M)
· The accreditation status as listed in the Final Individual School Reports for Paw Paw Elementary School and Paw Paw High School and continued the Full Approval status of the Morgan County School System (Attachment Mc)
· The accreditation status as listed in the Final Individual School Report for Richwood High School and continued the Full Approval status of the Nicholas County School System and gave Richwood High School and Nicholas County a November 15, 2008 Date Certain to correct the remaining findings (Attachment N)
· The accreditation status as listed in the Final Individual School Report for Independence High School and continued the Full Approval status of the Raleigh County School System (Attachment O)
· The accreditation status as listed in the Final Individual School Report for Glade Middle School and continued the Full Approval status of the Webster County School System (Attachment P)
· Continuation of year-round school programs in three Kanawha County elementary schools (Chandler, Glenwood and Piedmont) through school year 2010-2011 (Attachment Q).
V. Waivers of West Virginia Board of Education (WVBE)
Policies and Regulations, Superintendent's Interpretations
and State Statutes and Legislative Rules
Dr. Karen K. Larry, Executive Assistant to the State Superintendent, addressed the Board regarding new waivers of instructional materials for English language arts.
Upon motion by Dr. Johnson, seconded by Ms. Haden and unanimously carried, the Board approved the two requests for new waivers of WVBE policy, one request for a continuation waiver of WVBE policy, and 35 requests for new waivers of instructional materials. (Copy appended to Official Minutes, Attachment G.)
VI. West Virginia Pre-K County Plans for 2008–09
Dr. Jorea Marple, Assistant State Superintendent, Division of Curriculum and Instructional Services, addressed the Board and indicated that additional time is required in order to provide a complete listing of pre-k county plans for the Board’s approval and requested that no action be taken with regard to the county plans. (Attachment K was removed from the Official Minutes.)
Board Member/Committee Reports. Mrs. Manchin, Ms. Haden, Dr. Johnson, and Mr. Spencer provided information regarding their participation in a number of meetings and events.
State Superintendent’s Report. Superintendent Paine presented Department personnel actions for the Board’s information and indicated that updates regarding other matters would be provided during the President’s Retrospective. (Copy appended to Official Minutes, Attachment R.)
School Counseling Update. Due to the absence of the presenter for this item the presentation was deferred to a future meeting.
President Cook called for a break at 10:00 a.m.
IX. Call to Order
President Cook called the meeting back to order at 10:16 a.m.
X. West Virginia Secondary School Activities Commission (WVSSAC)
Series 1, 2, and 3
Dr. Johnson, in accordance with discussion at the July 9 meeting, moved that the Board: 1) accept the proposed amendments to WVSSAC Series 1; 2) accept the proposed amendments to WVSSAC Series 2 with the addition, at section 3.5, of the words “Beginning school year 2009-2010” [Beginning school year 2009-2010 sixth grade students may be eligible to participate in interscholastic sport teams in the middle school in which they are enrolled.]; and, 3) accept the proposed amendments to WVSSAC Series 3 with the exception of the proposed amendments at sections 7.2, 7.3 (Out-of-Season Coaching) and 10.1 (Classifications) and that the language in sections 7.2, 7.3 and 10.1 remain as adopted on July 13, 2007 and effective on September 11, 2007. Mrs. Manchin seconded the motion and it was carried unanimously. (Copy appended to the Official Minutes, Attachment S.)
XI. WVBE Personnel Matters
President Cook requested a motion to move into Executive Session as provided in W. Va. Code §6-9A-3 (matters involving attorney-client privilege) and/or §6‑9A-4(b)(2)(A) (personnel exception). Upon motion by Ms. Haden, seconded by Mrs. Manchin and unanimously carried, the Board entered into executive session at 10:19 a.m.
XII. Return from Executive Session
The Board returned from Executive Session at 10:45 a.m. at which time President Cook announced that no action was taken and no decisions were made.
Upon motion by Ms. Haden, seconded by Ms. Hatfield, the Board unanimously approved the Board’s personnel items. (Copy appended to Official Minutes, Attachment T.)
XIII. Board Items for Future Consideration
President Cook requested that items mentioned during the meeting and any others that members wish to be considered for placement on a future agenda be provided to the Board’s executive secretary soon as possible. Dr. Johnson requested a presentation at the August meeting regarding American Sign Language. (Copy appended to Official Minutes, Attachment U.)
XIV. President’s Retrospective
President Cook, with the assistance of Superintendent Paine (distributed PowerPoint presentation) provided an overview of the Board’s accomplishments for 2007-2008. Upon conclusion of the presentation Superintendent Paine thanked President Cook for her leadership over the past year. (Copy appended to Official Minutes, Attachment V.)
XV. Election of Officers 2008-2009
President Cook called for nominations from the floor.
Ms. Hatfield nominated Mrs. Cook to the office of President. Mr. Dunlevy seconded the motion. Dr. Johnson moved, and Ms. Phillips seconded, that the nominations be closed. The motion was unanimously carried.
Mrs. Cook was not opposed for that office and was declared elected President.
Dr. Johnson nominated Ms. Haden to the office of Vice President. Ms. Phillips seconded the motion. Mrs. Manchin moved, and Ms. Phillips seconded, that the nominations be closed. The motion was unanimously carried.
Ms. Haden was not opposed for that office and was declared elected Vice President.
Mr. Dunlevy nominated Ms. Phillips to the office of Secretary. Mrs. Manchin seconded the motion. Dr. Johnson moved, and Mrs. Manchin seconded, that the nominations be closed. The motion was unanimously carried.
Ms. Phillips was not opposed for that office and was declared elected Secretary.
President Cook expressed appreciation to the Board and the Department for support during her tenure as President over the past year and for their faith in her leadership to elect her to another term. Dr. Johnson requested members of the Strategic Plan Committee to remain after the close of the Board meeting to set a date for the committee to meet.
XVI. Point of Oder
West Virginia Secondary School Activities Commission Series 2
Mr. Spencer requested that motion regarding the amendment to Series 2 at section 3.5 be clarified to show that the amendment applies to football only. It was the consensus of the Board that General Counsel review the section in question and amend language, as necessary, to clarify the Board’s intent.
XVII. Future Meetings
The next regular meeting of the Board will be held August 13-14, 2008 in Charleston, West Virginia.
Upon motion by Mrs. Manchin, seconded by Ms. Hatfield and unanimously carried, the Board adjourned at 12:02 p.m.
Minutes approved by the Board on August 14, 2008.
Delores W. Cook, President
Jenny N. Phillips, Secretary
Minutes were recorded by
Virginia M. Harris
Executive Secretary to the Board.