WEST VIRGINIA BOARD OF EDUCATION
Board Conference Room
Capitol Building 6, Room 353
1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East
Charleston, West Virginia
January 10, 2008
I. Call to Order
President Delores W. Cook called the meeting of the West Virginia Board of Education (WVBE) at 9:00 a.m. on January 10, 2008, in the Board Conference Room, Capitol Building 6, Room 353, 1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East, Charleston, West Virginia.
The following members were present: President Cook, Vice President Priscilla M. Haden, Secretary Ronald B. Spencer, Robert W. Dunlevy, Barbara N. Fish, Burma Hatfield, Lowell E. Johnson, Gayle C. Manchin, and Jenny N. Phillips, and ex officio Steven L. Paine, State Superintendent of Schools. Student representative in attendance was Mitchel Kawash of Charleston who attends George Washington High School. Members absent were ex officios Brian E. Noland, Chancellor, West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission, and James L. Skidmore, Chancellor, West Virginia Council for Community and Technical College Education.
President Cook reconvened the remaining business from the January 9, 2008 agenda.
III. Policy 8200, Purchasing Policies and Procedures Manual
Mr. Joe Panetta, Executive Director, WVDE Office of School Finance, presented Policy 8200 for the Board’s consideration. (Copy appended to Official Minutes, Attachment J.)
IV. Policy 2200, Parent Involvement in Education
Ms. Betsy Peterson, Coordinator, WVDE Office of Special Programs, Extended and Early Learning, presented Policy 2200 for the Board’s consideration. (Copy appended to Official Minutes, Attachment K.)
V. Policy 2515, Uniform Grading
Superintendent Paine presented Policy 2515 for the Board’s consideration. (Copy appended to Official Minutes, Attachment L.)
VI. Policy 2520.35, 21st Century Science 9-12
Content Standards and Objectives for West Virginia Schools
Dr. Jorea Marple, Assistant State Superintendent, Division of Curriculum and Instructional Services, presented Policy 2520.35 for the Board’s consideration. (Copy appended to Official Minutes, Attachment M. Attachment formerly appended to the Official Minutes of January 9, 2008 at Attachment D now appended to the Official Minutes of January 10, 2008 at Attachment R.)
VII. Strategic Plan for World Languages in the 21st Century
Dr. Amelia Courts, Executive Director, and Mr. Robert Crawford, Coordinator, WVDE Office of ESL/International Schools, provided an overview of the Department’s new World Language strategic plan. Three key strategies designed to impact student proficiency levels and expand world language offerings were highlighted. (Attachment formerly appended to Official Minutes of January 9, 2008 at Attachment E now appended to the Official Minutes of January 10, 2008 at Attachment S.)
President Cook recessed the meeting at 9:45 a.m. for a press event recognizing Mr. Eric Kincaid, Morgantown High School, Monongalia County, West Virginia’s 2008 Teacher of the Year. Ms. Haden departed the meeting.
The Board returned from recess at 11:10 a.m. and upon motion by Ms. Phillips, seconded by Ms. Hatfield and unanimously carried, the Board adjourned the January 9 meeting at 11:11 a.m.
X. Call to Order
President Cook called the January 10 meeting to order at 11:12 a.m.
XI. Approval of January 10, 2008 Agenda
Upon motion by Mrs. Manchin, seconded by Mr. Dunlevy, the Board unanimously approved the January 10 agenda.
XII. Consent Agenda
Upon motion by Mr. Dunlevy, seconded by Ms. Phillips, the Board unanimously approved the Consent Agenda. (Copies appended to Official Minutes, Attachments A through Mc.)
· Meeting minutes of December 12 and 13, 2007 (Attachment A)
· Budget supplement and transfer requests for the month of December 2007 as follows: total supplements = $36,271,912 and total transfers = $13,439,845 (Attachment B)
· Amendment to the Brooke County Comprehensive Educational Facilities Plan to include construction, renovations and additions at the following schools: 1) Colliers Primary School (kitchen storage area), and 2) Follansbee Middle School (HVAC upgrades to gymnasium/classroom, rebricking the damaged southeast corner after subsidence, restroom facility renovation and replacement of stoops to the school entrances) and approval of the Brooke County School Access Safety Plan. (Attachment C)
· Amendment to the Fayette County Comprehensive Educational Facilities Plan to include the proposed closure of Nuttall Middle effective July 1, 2008, and the change/reconfiguration of Divide Elementary (feeder school), Ansted Middle, Ansted Elementary (feeder school) and potential change for students completing grade 5 at Danese Elementary. A waiver of WVBE Policy 6204 at sections 2.4.1, 2.4.2, 2.4.3 and 2.2.4 to extend the deadline from December 31 to March 1, 2008 for the completion of the closure hearings was also granted (Attachment D)
· Amendment to the Logan County Comprehensive Educational Facilities Plan to include the proposed closure of Crooked Creek School and granted a waiver of WVBE Policy 6204 was also granted (Attachment E)
· Amendment to the Ohio County Comprehensive Educational Facilities Plan to include structural corrections at Elm Grove, West Liberty and Middle Creek Schools, construction of an auditorium at Wheeling Park High School, renovation of Wheeling Middle School industrial arts areas for computer and music labs, creation of instructional spaces at our elementary schools to accommodate mandated universal preK programs, continued maintenance and upgrading of all facilities, update and approved the Ohio County School Access Safety Plan (Attachment F)
· Amendment to the Wayne County Comprehensive Educational Facilities Plan to include approval of the Wayne County School Access Safety Plan (Attachment G)
· Notifications, per Senate Bill 227, W. Va. Code §18A-4-7a, Transfer of Teachers After Five Days Prior to Starting Instruction, from Taylor and Wood County Schools (Attachment H)
· Employment of Substitute Teachers in Areas of Critical Need policies for Ohio and Upshur County Schools (Attachment I)
· Policy 8200, Purchasing Procedures for Local Educational Agencies (Attachment J)
· Policy 2200, Parent Involvement in Education, for placement on public comment for 30 days (Attachment K)
· Policy 2515, Uniform Grading, for placement on public comment for 30 days (Attachment L)
· Policy 2520.35, 21st Century Science 9-12 Content Standards and Objectives for West Virginia Schools, for placement on public comment for 30 days (Attachment M)
· The accreditation status as listed in the individual school report for Collins Middle School and continuance of the Nonapproval status of the Fayette County School System (Attachment Mc).
Board Member/Committee Reports. President Cook, Dr. Johnson, and Mrs. Fish provided information regarding their participation in a number of meetings and events.
Upon motion by Ms. Phillips, seconded by Ms. Hatfield, the Board unanimously accepted the reports.
Wellness Committee. Mrs. Fish provided a report on behalf of the Wellness Committee and, assisted by Ms. Melanie Purkey, WVDE Office of Healthy Schools, provided information regarding a grant received from the Benedum grant oral health in schools.
Upon motion by Ms. Phillips, seconded by Mrs. Manchin, the Board unanimously accepted the report.
State Superintendent’s Report. Superintendent Paine presented Department personnel actions (Attachment N) for the Board’s information; provided reports in Lincoln, McDowell and Mingo Counties; provided information (assisted by Mr. Chris Perkins, Superintendent, Fayette County Schools) regarding a meeting with Fayette County officials; reported that contact has been made with Superintendent A. J. Rogers, Webster County Schools, regarding the recent OPEA audit of Webster County High School and that a call has been placed to Superintendent Jane Lynch, Calhoun County Schools, regarding the recent OEPA audit of Calhoun County Middle/High School; and provided a summary of the recently released Quality Counts report.
Upon motion by Dr. Johnson, seconded by Ms. Phillips, the Board unanimously accepted the Superintendent’s report.
From Classroom to Classroom: 21st Century Guide for New Teachers . Mr. Nathan Estel, Executive Director, and Ms. Donna Peduto, WVDE Office of Professional Preparation, presented From Classroom to Classroom: 21st Century Guide for New Teachers. At the recommendation of the West Virginia Commission for Professional Teaching Standards, the WVBE directed the WVDE to examine issues of mentorship and induction. At the recommendation of the stakeholder group convened for this purpose, a digital resource for mentor and beginning teachers was created and is available at http://wvde.state.wv.us/mentorship.
XIV. Policy 4321.1, Standards for School Nutrition
Mr. Rick Goff, Executive Director, WVDE Office of Child Nutrition, provided an overview regarding Policy 4321.1.
Superintendent Paine recommended that, based upon a recent communication with Governor Joe Manchin III, that the policy be approved. Mr. Dunlevy moved that Policy 4321.1, as presented at the January 9, 2008 meeting, be approved. Mrs. Fish seconded the motion. Dr. Johnson requested clarification from the Board’s Legal Counsel, Heather L. Deskins, as to the policy’s compliance with W. Va. Code. Upon the call for the question, the motion was carried with eight members voting yes and one member, Dr. Johnson, voting no. Dr. Johnson requested that the record reflect that it is his belief that the policy language pertaining to caffeine is in violation of W. Va. Code §18-2-6A. (Copy appended the Official Minutes, Attachment O and addendum.)
XV. National Association of State Boards of Education (NASBE)
Annual Business Meeting/Voting Delegate
Ms. Hatfield moved, and Dr. Johnson seconded, that President Cook be designated as the Board’s voting delegate at NASBE’s January 26, 2008 business meeting, and that Vice President Haden be designated as the alternate voting delegate. The motion was carried unanimously.
XVI. WVBE Personnel Matters
Dr. Jack McClanahan presented the Board’s personnel items including the recommendation of the Board’s RESA II Executive Director Search Committee.
Upon motion by Mrs. Fish, seconded by Dr. Johnson, the Board unanimously approved the hiring of Dr. Donnalee Cockrille as Executive Director of RESA II effective January 28, 2008.
Upon motion by Mrs. Fish, seconded by Ms. Phillips, the Board unanimously approved the Board’s remaining personnel items. (Copy appended to Official Minutes, Attachment P and addendum.)
XVII. Board Items for Future Consideration
President Cook requested that items mentioned during the meeting be placed on the agenda and members provide any additional items to her, Superintendent Paine or Dr. McClanahan as soon as possible. Dr. Johnson requested that the Board’s goals for professional development be placed on the February agenda. Mrs. Fish indicated that Policy 6200 would be brought before the Board for consideration within the next few months. (Copy appended to Official Minutes, Attachment Q.)
XVIII. Future Meetings
The Board’s Communications Committee will meet on February 11, 2008 in Charleston, West Virginia. The next regular meeting of the Board will be held February 13-14, 2008 in Charleston, West Virginia.
Upon motion by Mr. Dunlevy, seconded by Ms. Phillips and unanimously carried, the Board adjourned at 12:27 p.m.
Minutes approved by the Board on February 14, 2008.
Delores W. Cook, President
Ronald B. Spencer, Secretary
Minutes were recorded by
Virginia M. Harris
Executive Secretary to the Board.