Preston County Schools
April 12, 2007
I. Call to Order
Johnson called the meeting of the West Virginia Board of Education (WVBE)
to order at 9:00 a.m. on April 11, 2007, in the Board Room, Preston County
following members were present: President Johnson, Vice President
Delores W. Cook, Secretary
Mr. John Lofink, Superintendent of Preston County Schools, welcomed the Board.
The Board recognized Ms. Beverly Kingery, West Virginia
Department of Education (WVDE) Office of Special
Programs, Extended and Early Learning. Through the work of Ms. Kingery
and WVDE staff,
Ms. Susan Collins,
V. Approval of Agenda
Upon motion by Ms. Phillips, seconded by Mrs. Manchin, the Board unanimously approved the agenda with the following modifications: President Johnson removed from the Consent Agenda item 13. Policy 3233, Establishment and Operation of Regional Education Service Agencies, and Mrs. Fish removed Consent Agenda item 14. West Virginia Association of Retired School Employees (WVARSE) Recommendation for Appointment to West Virginia Secondary School Activities Commission (WVSSAC) Review Board and Consent Agenda item 15. Appointments to the West Virginia Commission for Professional Teaching Standards (WVCPTS) with the items to be taken up immediately following the approval of the Consent Agenda.
VI. Consent Agenda
Upon motion by Mr. Spencer, seconded by Mr. Dunlevy, the Board unanimously approved the Consent Agenda as previously amended. (Copies appended to Official Minutes, Attachments A through G and J through L including the addendum at Attachment E.)
· Meeting minutes of February 28 and March 14 and 15, 2007 (Attachment A)
· Budget supplement and transfer requests for the month of March 2007 as follows: total supplements = $23,162,787 and total transfers = $19,943,099 (Attachment B)
to the Jefferson County Comprehensive Educational Facilities Plan (CEFP) to include naming the new high school
· Amendment to the Mercer County CEFP to include replacement of the natural grass surface of Hunnicutt Field, the athletic field adjacent to Princeton High School, with artificial turf. The project will require removal of existing sod and topsoil; placement of liner, stone, and drainage beds; installation of carpet; and infusion of sand and rubber pellets and will require approximately three months for completion
· Amendment to the Mineral County CEFP to include the location of a portable at Keyser Primary/Middle School to house a fifth grade classroom. The portable will meet Federal requirements and State Board of Education, Policy 6200. The portable will be located as close as feasible to the doors of the receiving facility in order to maintain a secure campus
· Amendment to the Monongalia County CEFP to include a grade configuration change for Daybrook Elementary from PreK-3 to PreK-2
· Amendment to the Roane County CEFP to address the Reedy Elementary grade configuration. This action will commence with the opening of the 2007-08 academic year and will revert the sixth grade to Reedy Elementary from Spencer Elementary
to the Wood County CEFP to provide
links/walkways between the main building, music facilities, auxiliary gym
and field house in order to significantly enhance the safety and health
· School facility reviews for Brookview Elementary, Sherman Elementary and Van Junior High School Gymnasium Addition in Boone County; Clay Elementary, Clay Middle School and Clay County High School in Clay County; East Hardy Early/Middle School, East Hardy High School and Moorefield Middle School in Hardy County; Berkeley Springs High School, Warm Springs Intermediate School and Warm Springs Middle School in Morgan County; Green Bank Elementary/Middle School and Pocahontas County High School in Pocahontas County; Roane County High School, Spencer Elementary and Walton Elementary/Middle School in Roane County; Summers County Middle School and Summers County High School in Summers County; and, Anna Jarvis Elementary School, Grafton High School and West Taylor Elementary in Taylor County (Attachment C)
· Two (2) waiver requests of WVBE policy (Attachment D)
· Eighteen county applications representing summer school at 35 county locations (Attachment E and addendum)
of Substitute Teachers in Areas of Critical Need policies for Boone, Cabell,
Fayette, McDowell, Mingo,
· Policy 2419, Regulations for the Education of Students with Exceptionalities (Attachment G)
· 2006 James & Law Annual Report (Attachment J)
Regional Education Service Agencies
Betty Jo Jordan, Executive Director, WVDE Office of Technical and Secondary
Program Improvement, presented Policy 3233 for the Board’s consideration. Ms.
Upon motion by Mr. Dunlevy, seconded by Ms. Haden, the Board approved Policy 3233 with six members voting yes and two members, Mrs. Fish and Mr. Spencer voting no. (Copy appended to Official Minutes, Attachment H.)
President Johnson called for a break at 10:35 a.m.
IX. Call to Order
President Johnson called the meeting back to order at 10:45 a.m.
Recommendation for Appointment to
Activities Commission (WVSSAC) Review Board
At the request of Mrs. Fish this item was removed from the agenda and will be placed on the May agenda with additional information regarding the nomination to be provided to members prior to the May meeting.
Professional Teaching Standards (WVCPTS)
motion by Mrs. Fish, seconded by Mr. Dunlevy, the Board unanimously
appointed Ms. Suzanne Anderson, elementary teacher from
Member/Committee Reports. President Johnson provided a report
regarding his attendance at the National Association of State Boards of
Education (NASBE) legislative conference and materials received during
the conference that have been copied and provided to members. Mrs.
Cook provided a report regarding her participation as a member of the NASBE
study group on Models of Success: Policies and Strategies for Reconstitution
and Schools in Need of Improvement. Ms. Haden provided a report regarding
her participation as a member of the NASBE nomination committee. Mrs.
Manchin asked about applying for a grant from NASBE to support the continuation
of the student representative to the Board initiative. Mrs. Manchin
also distributed and presented information regarding a draft concept paper
entitled West Virginia Healthy Start (working title). Mrs. Fish reminded
the Board of the soon to be released
Teacher Working Conditions Survey Update. President Johnson, assisted by Dr. Karen Larry, Executive Assistant to the State Superintendent, provided a brief update regarding the teacher working conditions survey initiative. President Johnson requested that members provide recommendations for membership on the stakeholder group to Dr. Larry. (Copy appended to Official Minutes, Attachment M.)
Evaluation Committee, Approval of Performance Evaluation Process and Forms for State Superintendent of Schools, Office of Education Performance Audits Director, West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and the Blind Superintendent and WVBE Executive Secretary. Ms. Phillips distributed and presented the 2007 appraisal instruments and process for the Board’s approval.
Upon motion by Ms. Haden, seconded by Mrs. Manchin, the Board unanimously approved the appraisal process and instruments. (Copy appended to Official Minutes, Attachment R.)
Superintendent’s Report. Superintendent Paine presented Department personnel
actions for the Board’s information and Ms. Talbott provided information
regarding the provisions in statute regarding salary increases and the
constitutional authority of the State Superintendent and the Board. Superintendent
Paine provided updates regarding Hampshire, McDowell,
President Johnson called for a break at 12:10 p.m.
XIV. Call to Order
President Johnson called the meeting back to order at 12:15 p.m.
XV. Reports (Continued)
Superintendent’s Report (Continued). Dr. Cathy Jones (distributed information), Coordinator, WVDE Office of Special Programs, Extended and Early Learning, provided a status report regarding the West Virginia PreK initiative. Mr. Terry Harless (distributed information), Executive Director, WVDE Office of Internal Operations, and Mr. Joe Panetta, Executive Director, WVDE Office of School Finance, provided an overview of the FY‑08 budget. (Copies appended to Official Minutes, Attachment Mc and addenda.)
Andrew J. Warne, student representative to the Board for the Month of April
and student at
XVI. WVBE Personnel Matters Including West Virginia Schools
for the Deaf and the Blind Superintendent Search
President Johnson provided an update regarding the West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and the Blind Superintendent search process and distributed a listing of individuals recommended to serve on the screening and interview committees with Ms. Haden serving as chair of both committees.
Upon motion by Mrs. Manchin, seconded by Mr. Dunlevy, the Board unanimously approved the Board’s personnel matters, and approved, with flexibility, the individuals recommended to serve on the screening and interview committees for the West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and the Blind Superintendent search with Ms. Haden serving as chair of both committees, and that three candidates, in rank order, be provided at the conclusion of the interviews with an offer of employment be extended in the same rank order. (Copy appended to Official Minutes, Attachment N and addendum.)
XVII. Board Items for Future Consideration
Johnson requested items to be considered for placement on the May agenda
be provided to him or Dr.
XVIII. Future Meetings
next regular meeting of the Board will be held May 9-10, 2007 in
Upon motion by Mrs. Cook, seconded by Ms. Phillips and unanimously carried, the Board adjourned at 1:39 p.m.
Minutes approved by the Board on May 10, 2007.
Priscilla M. Haden, Secretary
Minutes were recorded by
Virginia M. Harris
Executive Secretary to the Board.