Board Minutes / Agenda
WEST VIRGINIA BOARD OF EDUCATION
Board Conference Room
Capitol Building 6, Room 353
1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East
Charleston, West Virginia
November 9, 2006
I. Call to Order
President Lowell E. Johnson called the meeting of the West Virginia Board of Education (WVBE) to order at 9:00 a.m. on November 9, 2006, in the Board Conference Room, Capitol Building 6, Room 353, 1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East, Charleston, West Virginia.
The following members were present: President Johnson, Vice President Delores W. Cook, Secretary Priscilla M. Haden, Robert W. Dunlevy, Barbara N. Fish, Burma Hatfield, Jenny N. Phillips and Ronald B. Spencer, and ex officio Steven L. Paine, State Superintendent of Schools. Members absent were ex officios Brian E. Noland, Chancellor, West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission, and James L. Skidmore, Chancellor, West Virginia Council for Community and Technical College Education.
The Board recognized the Graphic Arts Education Program at the Northern Correctional Center for receiving three year re-accreditation from the Graphic Arts Education Research Foundation; Mr. Christopher Blake, Mount Olive Correctional Complex, for receiving the 2007 West Virginia Adult Educator of the Year award; and, Mr. Bruce Kolsun, Principal of Malden Elementary in Kanawha County, for receiving the National Distinguished Principal of the Year Award for West Virginia.
III. Approval of Agenda
President Johnson requested flexibility in the agenda to move, as necessary, New Business item A. Robes to Schools Project in order to accommodate the schedule of Chief Justice Robin Jean Davis. Ms. Haden requested Consent Agenda item #5. Office of School Facilities - Facility Reviews be removed for discussion. Upon motion by Mr. Spencer, seconded by Mrs. Cook, the Board unanimously approved the agenda as amended.
IV. Office of School Facilities - Facilities Reviews
Ms. Haden requested clarification regarding accountability in the conduct of school facility reviews. Mr. Bill Elswick, Executive Director, Office of School Facilities, Division of Student Support Services, addressed questions regarding facility reviews conducted by the Office of School Facilities.
Upon motion by Ms. Haden, seconded by Ms. Hatfield, the Board unanimously approved the facility reviews. (Copy appended to Official Minutes, Attachment A.)
V. Consent Agenda
Upon motion by Ms. Phillips, seconded by Mr. Dunlevy, the Board unanimously approved the Consent Agenda as amended. (Copies appended to Official Minutes, Attachments B-N.)
· Meeting minutes of October 4 and 5, 2006 (Attachment B)
· Budget supplement and transfer requests for the month of October 2006 as follows: total supplements = $37,953,855 and total transfers = $18,620,891 (Attachment C)
· Four requests for new waivers of Instructional Materials and denied one request for a new waiver of Instructional Materials (Attachment D)
· Two principal and four assistant principal waiver requests for the 2006‑2007 Principal Leadership Academy for New Principals (Attachment E)
· Notification, per Senate Bill 227, W. Va. Code §18A-4-7a, Transfer of Teachers After Five Days Prior to Starting Instruction, from Wetzel County Schools (Attachment F)
· Policy 2419, Regulations for the Education of Students with Exceptionalities for placement on a 60 day review, including a 40 day public comment period to begin on November 27, 2006 (Attachment G)
· Policy 2445.41, “Textbooks” Adoption: Notice, Request, and Instructions to Publishers for placement on public comment for 30 days (Attachment H)
· Policy 2340, West Virginia Measures of Academic Progress Program as amended on November 8, 2006 (Attachment I and addendum as distributed on November 8, 2006)
· Policy 2445.40, Groupings for Textbook Adoption for Early Childhood Education, Middle Childhood Education, and Adolescent Education as amended on November 8, 2006 (Attachment J and addendum as distributed on November 8, 2006)
· Policy 2510, Assuring the Quality of Education: Regulations for Education Programs (Attachment K)
· Policy 2520.1, 21st Century Reading and English Language Arts Content Standards and Objectives for West Virginia Schools, Policy 2520.2, 21st Century Mathematics Content Standards and Objectives for West Virginia Schools, Policy 2520.3, 21st Century Science K-8 Content Standards and Objectives for West Virginia Schools, Policy 2520.4, 21st Century Social Studies Content Standards and Objectives for West Virginia Schools, and Policy 2520.14, 21st Century Learning Skills and Technology Tools Content Standards and Objectives for West Virginia Schools (Attachment L and addendum as distributed on November 8, 2006)
· Five-year continuing WVBE-approval for Bethany College’s Social Studies 5-9 program
· Wiley Ford Primary School and Keyser Primary/Middle School the accreditation status listed in the individual school reports and continued the Full Approval status of the Mineral County School System (Attachment M)
· Hedgesville Middle School, Musselman Middle School, and Musselman High School the accreditation status listed in the individual school report and continued the Full Approval status of the Berkeley County System (Attachment Mc)
· Elkins Middle School the accreditation status listed in the individual school report and the continued the Full Approval status of the Randolph County System (Attachment N).
VI. Robes to Schools
Chief Justice Robin Jean Davis, West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, distributed information and provided information regarding the “Robes to Schools” project. (Copy appended to Official Minutes, Attachment O.)
Board Member/Committee Reports. President Johnson attended a number of events including grievance hearings, 21st Century Jobs Council meetings, dedication of Lincoln County High School, National Association of State Boards of Education (NASBE) Annual Conference, and WVEA Fall Conference and distributed a findings and recommendations report from the State Technology Advisory Committee and also a modified Board meeting schedule changing the location of the April meeting from Doddridge to Preston County. Mr. Spencer requested that a visit to Doddridge County be scheduled in 2007-2008.
Ms. Haden distributed the NASBE Annual Conference agenda and a NASBE Area Meeting Script for NCLB Reauthorization Guiding Principles and requested that President Johnson write a letter, on the Board’s behalf, to West Virginia’s congressional delegation in support of NCLB reauthorization to include NASBE’s guiding principles. Ms. Haden, as a result of her participation in NASBE’s civic literary work group, requested an item to be placed on the December agenda to include discussion regarding the addition of a student representative to the Board. Ms. Haden indicated that, as a follow-up to the Lincoln County High School dedication, she is working to make General Chuck Yeager’s book available at Lincoln County High School.
Ms. Haden, assisted by Ms. Liza M. Cordeiro, Executive Director, Communications Office, Office of the State Superintendent, presented the Board Recognition Committee’s “Board Recognition Criteria” for consideration.
Upon motion by Ms. Haden, seconded by Ms. Phillips, the Board unanimously approved the recognition criteria to be implemented with the December 2006 meeting. (Copies appended to Official Minutes, Attachment P.)
Ms. Haden requested that the National Title I School, located in Wheeling, be recognized at the December 2006 Board meeting in Ohio County.
President Johnson called for a break at 10:15 a.m.
IX. Call to Order
President Johnson called the meeting back to order at 10:27 a.m.
X. Reports (Continued)
State Superintendent’s Report. Superintendent Paine presented Department personnel actions for the Board’s information and provided updates regarding Lincoln, Hampshire, and Mingo Counties, the virtual school initiative, foreign language K-12, budget presentation to the Legislature, and commended Dr. Patricia Kusimo, Chief Executive Officer, West Virginia Center for Professional Development (WVCPD), for her leadership in advancing WVCPD initiatives. (Copy appended to Official Minutes, Attachment Q.)
XI. West Virginia Center for Professional Development Update
Dr. Kusimo distributed and discussed information regarding the 2006 AP State Scholars, Schools Recognized for Advanced Placement Achievement, Highlights of West Virginia’s AP Performance, and “Share Out” Sheet regarding WVCPD activities. (Copies appended to Official Minutes, Attachment R.)
Mr. Dunlevy departed the meeting.
XII. West Virginia Board of Education Goals Update
Dr. Jack McClanahan, Deputy State Superintendent of School, distributed and presented a status update of WVBE goals and objectives for public schools. (Copy appended to Official Minutes, Attachment S.)
XIII. Professional Development Stakeholder Group Report
Dr. Karen Huffman (distributed information), Executive Director, Office of Professional Preparation, Division of Student Support Services, and Dr. Karen Larry, Executive Assistant to the State Superintendent, presented the Professional Development Stakeholder Group Report for the Board’s consideration. At its July 2006 meeting the WVBE directed the State Superintendent to convene a group of professional development stakeholders who would have responsibility for: 1) reviewing the recommendations made by the National Staff Development Council (NSDC) in a study NSDC conducted that was commissioned by the West Virginia Legislature; and 2) recommending a five-year plan for the implementation of the recommendations from the study. The presentation provided the history background for the work of the stakeholder group, including the methodology and five recommendations of the October 2005 Professional Development Study; the organization and structure of the WVBE Professional Development Stakeholder Group; and recommendations from the Professional Development Stakeholder Group to the WVBE for implementation of the NSDC Study.
Upon motion by Mrs. Fish, seconded by Ms. Phillips, the Board unanimously accepted the recommendations of the Professional Development Stakeholder Group. (Copy appended to Official Minutes, Attachment T and addendum.)
XIV. West Virginia Board of Education Personnel
Upon motion by Mrs. Cook, seconded by Ms. Phillips, the Board unanimously approved the Board’s personnel items. (Copy appended to Official Minutes, Attachment U.)
XV. Board Items for Future Consideration
President Johnson addressed the Board and requested items, in addition to those requested during the meeting, to be considered for placement on a future agenda be provided to Dr. McClanahan or the Board’s executive secretary. (Copy appended to Official Minutes, Attachment V.)
XVI. Future Meetings
President Johnson called a meeting of the Board for November 29, 2006 at 1:00 p.m. for the purpose of hiring an Executive Director for Regional Education Service Agency I. Members were directed to inform the Board’s Executive Secretary of Board committee meetings to be scheduled on November 29, 2006. The next regular meeting of the Board will be held December 13-14, 2006 in Ohio County, West Virginia.
XVII. Superintendent’s Report (Continued)
Superintendent Paine announced that, as a part of the 21st Century Skills Partnership agreement, he is forming a Superintendent’s Advisory Council and requested Board member participation. President Johnson requested that members advise him of their interest in serving on the advisory council.
Upon motion by Mrs. Cook, seconded by Ms. Phillips and unanimously carried, the meeting adjourned at 11:51 a.m.
Minutes approved by the Board on December 14, 2006.
Lowell E. Johnson, President
Priscilla M. Haden, Secretary
Minutes were recorded by
Virginia M. Harris
Executive Secretary to