- AmberVision is designed to locate missing children:
- Studies have shown that having an up-to-date photo is a crucial element in locating missing children.
- AmberVision is a comprehensive database of all West Virginia public schoolchildren, coupling school photos with accurate, up-to-date information.
- This information will allow immediate response to a missing child case, rather than wasting time looking for photos and current information.
- This information also will be used to assist any AMBER Alert issued in West Virginia.
- AmberVision uses state-of-the-art technology to provide accurate information as soon as a child is reported missing:
- AmberVision takes a school photo and turns it into a 3-D avatar so that the image released to law enforcement is as informative and accurate as possible.
- In the event that a child is reported missing, the information can be immediately electronically transferred to law enforcement officers around the state.
- This immediate, accurate information saves valuable time and resources to ensure that missing children are reunited with their parents as quickly and efficiently as possible.
- This information is HIGHLY SECURE and can only be accessed should a child be reported missing:
- AmberVision can only be accessed by law enforcement and only when a child is reported missing. It cannot be accessed for other law enforcement purposes. For example, if some students were to vandalize a middle school, the police could not access AmberVision to help catch the vandals.
- Children's parents will be able to access their own children's information on the Internet and modify or update the information as needed.
- To ensure security, parents must go to their children's school, in person, to receive a login PIN before they can access their children's information.
- In the fall, students in the West Virginia public school system can be enrolled in AmberVision at no cost:
- There are no direct costs to parents or taxpayers for this service.
- Securlinx, our AmberVision partner, has agreed to provide this highly important service for free to West Virginia schoolchildren.
- Parents can register their children online at no cost.
- Additional Information:
- AmberVision is not an AMBER Alert. They are similar, but AmberVision is a quick response system that only requires a child to be missing to be activated. AMBER Alert has many more requirements and takes more time to enact. However, AmberVision information will be available in the event that an AMBER Alert is issued.
- Since 2005, more than 100,000 people have paid to sign up for this valuable service, which is now offered to West Virginia families free of charge.
West Virginia Department of Education
1900 Kanawha Boulevard East, Charleston, WV 25305
(Staff Phone and Email by Name) (School Directory)
Topics: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
For suggestions, questions, problems contact the webmaster
Please read our disclaimers
State Board |